Across the Bridge - Chapter 19

Chapter 19

Even with the bedroom door shut, I could still hear the movie that Asa was watching. It was a small house and the walls were thin. My room was so quiet. Winston crossed the room and sat on my bed, but I stayed near the door. The other night, when he showed up at my window, I didn't plan to let him in. I didn't anticipate him sleeping all night in my bed. It had just happened. Now, I'd invited him over but I didn't know what to do.

"So... your brother is cool," he began, and I could tell he was trying to play it cool.

"Yeah, I guess. He was probably just surprised... I've never really had guys over to the house," I said, but regretted the words instantly.

"You haven't?" he asked, eyeing me carefully.

"Just Lex. I mean... he was my only friend for a long time."

Suddenly Winston looked uncomfortable. "Are you going to tell him... about us?"

"I think I have to," I told him. "Don't I?"

"He won't understand. He think I'm like, a terrible person." He shook his head, frustrated.

"Why?"

"I don't know. My school, the guys there... they've been at war with East forever. When I met Camilla, she was dating a guy from your school. Alex and his buddies, they just hate me." Now he looked more hurt than anything else.

"Well, they'll have to suck it up, I guess." I tried to sound confident as I said this.

Winston smiled. "Yeah?"

"Yeah."

I really liked being with Winston and I'd never felt so comfortable around anyone, besides Lex. He was sweet and I knew he actually liked me. He also didn't care that I lived in Williamsburg, at all. It was so nice to have someone who understood me in a way I really didn't think anyone else did.

We were making out awhile later, when I heard some voices outside my door.

It had started by Winston telling me he thought I was cute when I was serious. I ended up sitting near him on my bed, then he brushed some hair off my face. Within minutes, we were laying down, him most of the way on top of me, his mouth on mine. His hands were in my hair, on my waist, everywhere. He smelled so good and up this close, he was even more beautiful. I could see his freckles on his nose. And oh how I loved kissing him. But it was day time and we were both sober - and stopping this time was much harder for me.

"My mom's home," I said, after hearing the voices in the hallway.

He rolled off of me, but I leaned over to kiss him again.

"We should... go say hi?" he suggested.

"You want to?" I asked him, unsure.

He grinned at me. "Uh, I want to keep doing this." He kissed my cheek gently. "But..."

"I know."

"Can I take you to my house?" he asked suddenly.

Surprised, I sat up a bit, fixing my shirt. "Um."

"I don't mean to continue this... you know I didn't meant that-"

"Yeah." I didn't know what he meant.

"Or we could go somewhere else? Like... a restaurant? I'm starving," he suggested, still leaning over close to me.

"A date?" I asked without thinking first.

"I've been in your bed twice now and I've never taken you on a date," he smiled.

"Okay."

"Yeah?"