Across The Bridge - Chapter 27

Chapter 27

A bang on the door made me jump, as Winston was trying to undo my bra. I froze, feeling so exposed, and Winston groaned.

"What?" he yelled out, and I could see the frustration on his face.

"Duke, open the door," his brother's voice called back.

"I'm busy," Winston called, avoiding my eyes.

"I got pizza," James said. "Isn't your dance tonight?"

Finally Winston glanced at me, but I looked away. "Yes. Be out in a few!" he called out to his brother.

I was glad my bra hadn't come all the way off, as I quickly did it back up and grabbed my shirt off the end of the bed. My heart was pounding, but Winston somehow looked relaxed. Happy.

"Penelope," he said, softly.

"Yeah?"

"Sorry -"

"No, don't." I shook my head. "I don't know why I was -"

Winston grinned, then pulled me close to him. I laid my head on his shoulder, sighing.

"I liked that," he admitted, his voice quiet. "You, being so..."

But I was embarrassed. "Are we together?" I blurted out.

He turned serious. "We've been hanging out for like two months. And even before that... I made it obvious that I was into you."

"Yeah."

"I basically think about you all the time."

"You do?"

"You get me, Penelope. More than anyone ever has."

I had never believed anything more than I believed him when he said that.

"Okay," I whispered.

"Okay?" he asked.

I turned my head to kiss his cheek. "We're together."

After some pizza with his brother, I put on my dress and shoes and added a bit of make up. I tied my hair up into a bun, too. I felt pretty, but I was so anxious for Winston to see me. When I walked out of his bedroom, he was dressed in a dress shirt and blue tie, and black pants. His hair was styled like I hadn't seen it before. He licked his bottom lip, as his eyes wandered over me.

"Fuck," he said, his voice too serious.

I smiled. "What?"

"You look amazing."

"You do, too," I whispered.

"We should... I guess it's time to go." He took my hand in his and we headed upstairs.

In his car, Winston kept looking at me with a look I'd never seen before. Excitement? Content? I was pretty sure I felt whatever he was feeling, too. We didn't talk about it, though.

"I can't believe we almost..." he said, slowly for a red light.

"I really... I wanted to," I told him, so he knew.

"Me too." He grinned, then his cell phone started ringing, and he answered, while driving again. "Yo... yeah... I'll be there soon. I'm driving. Five minutes."

I knew his school was further than that away, so I was a bit confused.

"We are meeting at this dude - Marcus' - house. He has a limo taking us to the school," Winston said to me before I could ask.