Something Words Can't Explain

Roman didn't see Cleo on Thursday.

Or the one after that.

Three weeks he hadn't seen her.
He was starting to get a little worried. It wasn't like she was his only friend, she was just... well, she was Cleo. It was hard not to miss her. But this was the longest time he hadn't seen her. It was a little weird.

Winter Holidays ended and a wave of cheerful students entered the school, chatting about what they did over the break. What they got for Christmas, who they met, the basics.

It was Harry's first time actually leaving for the Holidays since he wasn't going back to the Dursley's. It was rather exciting to get to spend time with the Weasleys, Remus, Sirus, everyone really. But now, he was back at Hogwarts. Just like he always liked.

To Percy's dismay, Nico, Thalia and Estelle hadn't returned. It was a bit insulting since they were only there so that he would agree to come. He hadn't seen Navja in a while either.

Strange.

The first class they had was Potions. Professor Gravy gave him a kind smile before returning to glare at the rest of the year who looked away instantly, sitting down in their seats. The Ravenclaws didn't have this problem since they were, in the Professor's eyes, perfect little angels.

 Percy sat down next to Justin as he watched idly as Professor Gravy gave the instructions to make an advanced healing potion. Her tone was sharp and commanded attention. Like McGonagall.

Funny, he would've said Athena before.

The door burst open dramatically when Percy was gingerly helping his partner, spilling all the potion on to the ground. He and him yelped jumping up onto the dry space, the liquid moving away as if it had a mind of its own. No one saw.

"My apologies Professor," It was an unfamiliar voice, deep and calm, "Can I speak to Mr. Goldcrest for a moment,"

"Um," she glanced at him and then at the other Hufflepuffs, then back at him, "Of course Mr. Shacklebolt,"

~

Percy didn't know where he was going. Mr. Shacklebolt, as he called him in his head seeing as he had no idea what his first name was, was tall, black, and had a single golden earing.

He hadn't explained much, just telling him that he had to see him in Dumbledore's office.

Which was where he was right now. Percy didn't even have time to marvel at the door's passwords and gorgons while being pushed right in and told to sit.

Shacklebolt sat beside Dumbledore, Percy sat on the other side of a large wooden desk separating him from the others.

"Perseus."
"Percy," he supplied instinctively, immediately cringing as he remembered what he was dealing with.

He nodded, "Percy. We have a few questions to ask you if you're willing to respond."

Percy looked between the two. Dumbledore looked relaxed, although looked at him curiously while Kingsley stared at him with a serious expression. He vaguely remembered that he legally had a choice to respond, he didn't actually have a lawyer though so he just nodded.

"Lovely." Kingsley opened his mouth and formed a few shapes wordlessly as if trying to find a way to phrase his next sentence.

Finally, he spoke, "Percy, Navja Jennings is your friend, am I correct?"
He nodded.
"Do you know where she was on December 29th?"
"When... that kid died?"
Kingsley tilted his head as if studying him, "Precisely." he confirmed.

"She was with Elliot obviously," Percy said, "That's where we found her."
"Do you know why she was out of bed?"
He narrowed his eyes curiously, "No." 

Kingsley's expression didn't change but Percy didn't get a good feeling from the strange look in his eyes.

He smiled faintly, "That's all we needed to know, you can go back to your class now,"
"That's it?"
"Yes, Mr. Goldcrest, you can leave,"

He sat there for a split second staring at him in confusion before standing up and leaving the room not looking back at the two adults. He didn't need drama. He didn't need to know what was happening. It didn't concern him. It concerned-

He stopped in front of the stairs, narrowly keeping himself from falling down the flight of stairs. His eyes were wide in shock, guilt, and various other emotions he didn't care to name.
Navja. He forgot about Navja.

"Hey!"

He whipped around, a distraught look on his face as the voice carried through the hall. Harry, of course it was Harry.
Percy didn't exactly know why he was angry that Harry was here. Sure, he had talked to him and he did consider him an acquaintance if not a friend, but he just... really didn't want to talk.

Harry stopped, his glasses slightly tilted on his nose as he caught his breath like he had ran all the way here, "So, hi, um," he scratched his head, an awkward expression made its way onto his face, "I saw you with Kingsley and I... followed you and you went into Dumbledore's office so I'm just... a little curious,"

Percy narrowed his eyes in a calculating way, not saying anything for a moment.

"Nothing happened,"
Harry stepped a little closer, "See that's obviously a lie; the Minister of Magic doesn't just come to Hogwarts for a casual stroll,"
"Nothing happened," he repeated earnestly, if not a little rough, "No one's in danger, no one's in trouble, nothing's gonna happen, everything's fi - "
"Percy," he interrupted, "You don't have to tell me - "
"There's nothing to tell!" he told him, forcing a strangely unnerving smile onto his face, "We're all good man!"

Harry furrowed his brows and took a step in front of him; Percy took one back.

"Are you okay?"
"I'm fine!"
"
Well you're acting weird!" he all but shouted in concern, "You don't act like this normally!"
"What are you talking about Harry?" Percy grinned, spreading his arms, his leg moved back just an inch, "I'm acting perfectly - "

"PERCY MOVE!"

And before he could say anything more, his eyes widened as the student tumbled back his arms flailing wildly.

The stairs.

The stairs hadn't come back.

Harry vaulted forward, taking out his wand as he jumped down, wind whistling through his hair. His eyes found Percy's and although they were relatively panicked, they were also on auto-pilot, you gotta survive this my guy mode, trying to find a way to not become a flat human pancake.

He didn't see Harry apparently as he twisted around violently, with his arms outstretched, his wand barely staying in his pocket. Harry almost did a double take, this guy really was an idiot.

He was about to cast a levitating spell on him when a loud rumble interrupted him as an explosion from the left wall caught him off guard, sending him crashing into a different set of stairs.

One that hadn't hit Percy.

Harry could feel tears of pain welling in his eyes as he clutched his ribs, "PERCY!"

A wave of water erupted from where the new hole in the wall and surrounded Percy in a whirl of blue and white, floating up in the air like a shield. 

A second passed; the water rose up to where Harry was.
Another second; it slowed so that he could see Percy's face through the blur
Another; it approached Harry as he stared in awe and confusion.
And another; a body tumbled onto the ground, completely dry, completely worn out, cold.

His face turned to the gaping hole and he laughed dryly, "That's a problem,"

-----------------

well then <3