Chapter 32

I sat there cradling my sore cheek as my father swaggered further into the room. Domick was standing in the same place where he had let go of the robed man.

"Kira, Kira, Kira," my father started talking in a soothing voice as if he cared, "if only you had listened to me before. Now you were forced to take the first test. If you had only cooperated, you wouldn't have gotten hurt."

Even though my dad acted as if he was worried about me, his wings were pure black, unlike the grey they would be if truly worried.

"Once they sort out your type and skill level as an abnormal, I can let you out of this room and start your progression." My father finished.

I scoffed. As if I was going to join these people who have brought nothing but pain and worry into my life.

But I froze up when I suddenly thought of what being on the Council would entitle me to be able to do.

My father looked at me suspiciously when I suddenly let go of my cheek and stood up straighter to smiled at him, "You've certainly gave me plenty of time to think in here and I've finally made my decision." My cheeks started hurting from the fake smile, "I'll join the Council."

He look at me blankly then let out a sharp laugh, "Kira, you must think I'm stupid, I can see straight through your plan, which is why I brought Domick here with me today. I knew you would eventually come to the conclusion that if you faked joining my side that I would give you enough free rein to escape." He chuckled humorlessly.

"But I predicted it, so now I'll tell you how it's going to go. You will be joining my side at the Council, but after I take care of those pesky feelings you think you've developed. Afterwards, you won't hesitate to join and support me. After all, if I need to, I can get rid of your little friend that's above ground and then nothing really will be there for you to head back for anyway."

He shrugged in a careless matter, "I just need at least one person to be around to use as blackmail., doesn't matter which one" He smiled sinisterly.

I stared at him in horror at what I thought he was suggesting. "How exactly are you planning on 'taking care' of my feelings."

He made a hand gesture towards Domick. "I'll just have to remove the things that are holding you back from accepting my offer and join my world, our world."

Domick had been standing still next to the door the whole time we had been speaking, as if he was a sentinel. But unlike the other time I had seen him, he seemed to be shifting on his feet. Not standing motionless.

Almost as if not completely under my father's control. His eyes would drop over to me but then he would look straight forward again.

I felt a flicker of hope run through me, maybe I wasn't totally screwed over.

My father continued, "You've already met some Council members and I think you've got along great. See, you are already making new friends so now you don't quite need your old ones."

Umm, if he's talking about the maroon robes, we did not get 'along'.

As I blankly stared at him, he started to back towards the door. "I was planning on just killing off Domick to remove him from the equation, but I've changed my mind, I can't just kill off my favorite fletcher."

He stopped, facing the door, and rubbed at his chin in a thinking manner, "I've been stretching myself too thin here lately but if it helps the cause..." he muttered to himself.

As my father was having a conversation to himself, I stood up next to Domick and ran my fingertips down the side of his face, "I wish you'd come back Dom," I whispered hopelessly. Tears welled up in my eyes as I put my hand back down.

His hand flew out to snatch up my lowering hand and bring it back up to his face. He nuzzled his stubbly cheek against it as his dark grey wings wrapped me up.

Here's the summary I promised for my next book in the 'Dark World', named Dark Forest (I actually published the cover so check it out!). Both the summary and the name could change but let's be honest, it probably won't. So here you go...

I had been living in the forest for as long as I could remember.
It helped that I could slightly talk to animals, they were probably the only thing keeping me sane. But could you really call it sane when you still talked to yourself?
Probably.
Well...
See, there I go again, talking to myself.
I knew it was probably time to go out and seek human contact, but the forest kept calling me back.
Then I ran into him.
I thought he was Bigfoot, he was so big.
But turns out he just needed a little Sunshine in his life.
And that's where I come in.

Did you notice I changed the cover??
Let me know if you like it or I should give some options to change again.

Till next chapter... 😽