Chapter Three: The Train to Hogwarts

There are several dialogue quotes taken from JK Rowling's Chamber of Secrets in this book. This is to convey the same story she wrote, but from another character's POV. The quotes taken directly from the book have three quotation marks (instead of two) around them to signify she wrote them and that I am citing them. Because I am transforming pieces of her work into something new this falls under the Fair Use Act. Additionally, JK Rowling has stated that she is okay with noncommercial fan fiction. All direct quotes, the Harry Potter storyline, and the characters all belong to JK Rowling.

The last week or so of summer vacation, Draco spent every waking moment on his brand new Nimbus 2001. It was truly the best broom that money could buy. Not even all of the professional quidditch players had managed to get their hands on one at this point. Because his father had placed the broom on hold before it was even released, it had cost them a thousand galleons. It was not uncommon for a family of wizards to live on a salary of only three thousand galleons a year. However, money truly meant nothing to the Malfoy family, and Draco was used to lavish gifts.

The broom itself was truly amazing, like nothing else Draco had ridden before. He practiced quidditch all day, training for the house team, and took joy rides at night. Truth be told, even if he hadn't loved flying, Draco would have done anything to get out of the stone cold, mundane manor.

Now, on September 1st, 1994, Draco descended down the grand staircase with his trunk, owl, and broomstick. Narcissa was waiting at the bottom of the stairs for him with tears already in her eyes. "Mum, we've been through this before," Draco moaned, in the sort of way that young boys do, detesting emotional confrontation.

"That doesn't mean I have to like it," she whispered back, wrapping him in a warm hug.

Draco and his father said goodbye with a handshake, before Draco made his way to the fireplace, and shouted King's Cross very, very clearly. Draco checked the clock as he made his way to the platform, 9:45 am... early as usual. He pushed his way through the muggles, who ever so often shot an odd look at his owl.

When Draco was absolutely sure that no one was looking, he walked straight through the barrier between platforms nine and ten, as he had before. Just like last year, he was the first one to get on the train. He chose a compartment for him and his friends to occupy, taking one of the window seats.

Draco was enjoying his peace, when not ten minutes later, a familiar bushy haired girl with big front teeth opened the sliding door, and sat down across from him. "Granger?" Draco scoffed. "What are you doing here? Where are your miserable friends?"

"Oh they won't be here until a minute or two before departure," Hermione said, just a tad condescendingly.

"That doesn't mean you can come bother me," Draco scoffed. "I guess your used to poking your big head around where it's not wanted."

"I wanted to thank you," said Hermione. Draco rolled his eyes, and crossed his arms. "I also wanted to tell you that I never told anyone... about how comforted me on Halloween night."

"There was nothing to tell," Draco insisted, coldly.

"I still want to be your friend." Hermione pressed. "I think you're a good person, and Ron and Harry will come along."

"What makes you think I would want to be friends with blood traitors and muggle borns?" Draco spit through clenched teeth.

"Because despite how you were raised, and what people have taught you, I know that you are smart enough to know that blood purity doesn't matter. I know that because... I think we're quite similar actually," said Hermione.

For just a moment, Draco considered it. It would be so nice to just relax, and enjoy school. In a perfect world there would be no games, no hierarchy, no legacies... Life could be fun, and not so serious all the time. But this wasn't a perfect world, and even at age twelve Draco knew that. His parents would never forgive him, and living life without a family was not something any twelve year old would choose to do.