Chapter Ten: Christmas at Hogwarts

There are several dialogue quotes taken from JK Rowling's Chamber of Secrets in this book. This is to convey the same story she wrote, but from another character's POV. The quotes taken directly from the book have three quotation marks (instead of two) around them to signify she wrote them and that I am citing them. Because I am transforming pieces of her work into something new this falls under the Fair Use Act. Additionally, JK Rowling has stated that she is okay with noncommercial fan fiction. All direct quotes, the Harry Potter storyline, and the characters all belong to JK Rowling.

"Get up! Up! Up! Up!" screeched a voice, and suddenly Draco felt his robe being thrown against his face.

"Wha- Daphne?" Blaise mumbled sleepily.

Draco shot up and pulled the cover up to his chin. "Daphne get out!" He snapped.

"No," she retorted. "It is very important that you two get your asses out of bed and down to breakfast, now."

"And that would be because...?" Blaise asked inquisitively.

Daphne stopped storming about the room and looked back and forth between Blaise and Draco. "There has been another attack."

"Who?" Asked Draco as the three of them ran down the hall.

"Justin and the Gryffindor ghost, Sir Nicholas" Daphne answered.

"You're not implying..." started Blaise.

Daphne stopped and this time focused all her attention to Draco. "I'm not implying anything. The school wants to think that it is Harry, and we are going to keep it that way by making sure we don't look guilty. We are the easy targets, the scapegoats, so you can't be skipping meals and wandering off. We have to surround ourselves with others to make sure we all have alibis."

"Screw that!" Draco scoffed. "I'm not letting Harry parade himself around this school acting like he's the heir of Slytherin. I could care less if people think it's me." He pushed his way through Daphne and Blaise, continuing towards the Great Hall.

After that morning, Draco did everything that he could to act suspicious and make people believe that he was the heir of Slytherin. He skipped meals, showed up late to classes, and read the most conspicuous looking books he could find in the middle of the library. To his dismay, none of this seemed to be working. All the students continued to hold a mix of amazement and fear towards Harry. Every time the Weasley twins paraded Harry down the hallway shouting things like, "'Make way for the Heir of Slytherin, seriously evil wizard coming through. . . .'" Draco was tempted to name himself the Heir of Slytherin, just so that everyone would stop talking about Harry.

The night before winter break Draco sat reading a book about petrification in the Slytherin common room and darting his eyes around the room every so often to see if anyone was paying attention.

"At first, I thought I had made a mistake in telling you not to act suspicious," said Daphne, sitting down next to Draco. "When you stalked off I thought to myself 'oh great, now he is going to do just the opposite,' and you did. However, your desperate attempts to look shady are so over the top, that I don't have to worry about anyone believing it."

"Worry about Pansy," said Draco dully.

"Hm- what? What made you think of her?" Asked Daphne.

"She wasn't there that day you pulled Blaise and I out of bed. You never warned her to not act suspicious," answered Draco.

"She has an alibi," Daphne answered. "She's always with Lockhart, and we barely see her anymore because of it."

Draco shrugged in response.