Chapter Six: Halloween

There are several dialogue quotes taken from JK Rowling's Chamber of Secrets in this book. This is to convey the same story she wrote, but from another character's POV. The quotes taken directly from the book have three quotation marks (instead of two) around them to signify she wrote them and that I am citing them. Because I am transforming pieces of her work into something new this falls under the Fair Use Act. Additionally, JK Rowling has stated that she is okay with noncommercial fan fiction. All direct quotes, the Harry Potter storyline, and the characters all belong to JK Rowling.

September flew by with the last few nights of warm summery air. As October finally arrived, the green plumage on every tree started to change to colors of gold and auburn. Draco waited anxiously for any sign that the Chamber of Secrets had been opened, and found that the anticipation was making him quite queasy. It was not as if a giant basilisk was the only thing on his mind, and how was he supposed to focus on school and quidditch when the possible demise of fellow classmates was looming in his mind? Perhaps the whole thing was a joke. Perhaps Lucius would sneer with disgust when he realized Draco had fallen for it.

"I hate October," mumbled Pansy, snapping Draco out of his thoughts.

Draco looked up from the porridge he had been prodding at with a spoon. "Because?" He asked.

"It's just another excuse to make life seem scarier than it already is," she said. "And if I don't appreciate the spooky decorations and countless tricks played in the corridors, I'm no fun,"

"You could try focusing on your studies," Daphne interjected, not bothering to look up from her book.

"You're just pissed she's scoring higher than you in Defense Against the Dark Arts," said Blaise.

"No, I couldn't be happier that Pansy is doing so well," Daphne argued but she held her book up higher, to hide the pink flush in her cheeks.

"The thing I'm most concerned about is what you and Professor Lockhart do together after each class," Blaise smirked.

"Wha- No- You never question Draco about his private mentorship with Professor Snape." Pansy wined.

"Well, to be fair," said Blaise, with a classic grin. "Draco doesn't blush profusely at the mention of Snape's name... And Snape has never won any award for his charming good looks. Do you learn a lot from your mentorship?"

Draco looked up to see hundreds of birds swooping into the Great Hall to deliver the post. Draco untied the package and post from Niklaus, then stroked him on the back as he half listened to Pansy and Blaise.

"Yes! Of course!" Pansy exclaimed. "He keeps me up to date on everything that he is doing, and even..." Pansy looked around, and lowered her voice considerably. "He tells me about classified upcoming projects he is working on."

"So let me get this straight," Daphne interjected, finally putting down her book. "He is teaching you about himself, and not about the source material? You're like his personal assistant?"

"Well," said Pansy, not picking up on her friends' disgust. "Don't mention this to anyone because he told me this in confidence to prevent a riot of jealousy, but he said that if I keep going above and beyond the way I have, he may hire me full time when I graduate."

"You're twelve," said Daphne, matter of factly.

"Yes, almost thirteen," answered Pansy, "Quite impressive isn't it? I have to run though, I am supposed to meet him before first class." She picked up her bag and ran out, completely unaware of the skeptical looks from her friends.

"Should we be concerned?" Draco asked, as he passed the typical box of sweets he had received from his mom around to share with his fellow Slytherins.