Chapter Four: Lockhart the Great

There are several dialogue quotes taken from JK Rowling's Chamber of Secrets in this book. This is to convey the same story she wrote, but from another character's POV. The quotes taken directly from the book have three quotation marks (instead of two) around them to signify she wrote them and that I am citing them. Because I am transforming pieces of her work into something new this falls under the Fair Use Act. Additionally, JK Rowling has stated that she is okay with noncommercial fan fiction. All direct quotes, the Harry Potter storyline, and the characters all belong to JK Rowling.

As always, Draco was met with great dissatisfaction to see Harry Potter smugly sitting at the Gryffindor table the next morning at breakfast. "God dammit," Draco muttered, slamming the table.

Pansy jolted, frightened by the noise. "You seem to be in more of a mood than normal," Blaise poked. "I'm not sure what you expected."

"I'm just stressed," said Draco plainly. "What do Slytherins have first today?"

"Defense Against the Dark Arts with Lockhart," Pansy said, blushing.

"Pansy fancies him," Daphne teased.

Pansy looked mortified at her friend's assertion, and Blaise scoffed, "All you ladies fancy him. It's biological or something."

"I don't," Daphne argued. "I don't find him at all appealing."

"Neither do I!" Said Pansy, a lot less convincingly. She tried to meet Draco's eyes to see if he cared, but he just continued to eat, not phased in the slightest.

"Your face says otherwise," said Blaise.

Pansy opened her mouth to say something, but she was cut off by someone shouting at the top of their lungs.

"'— STEALING THE CAR, I WOULDN'T HAVE BEEN SURPRISED IF THEY'D EXPELLED YOU, YOU WAIT TILL I GET HOLD OF YOU, I DON'T SUPPOSE YOU STOPPED TO THINK WHAT YOUR FATHER AND I WENT THROUGH WHEN WE SAW IT WAS GONE —'"

The four Slytherins turned around to see a deep red envelope screaming at Ron. "Someone got a howler," Blaise chuckled. Both he and Draco let out thunderous laughs at Ron's misfortune.

"'— LETTER FROM DUMBLEDORE LAST NIGHT, I THOUGHT YOUR FATHER WOULD DIE OF SHAME, WE DIDN'T BRING YOU UP TO BEHAVE LIKE THIS, YOU AND HARRY COULD BOTH HAVE DIED —'"

Pansy and Daphne both had their hands over their ears. The meer volume of the voice was enough to shake the tables in the great hall. It was louder than any human could possibly be.

"'— ABSOLUTELY DISGUSTED — YOUR FATHER'S FACING AN INQUIRY AT WORK, IT'S ENTIRELY YOUR FAULT AND IF YOU PUT ANOTHER TOE OUT OF LINE WE'LL BRING YOU STRAIGHT BACK HOME.'"

At this point, Ron's face was more red than the envelope itself. It burst into flames, and a small pile of ashes soon laid in front of the mortified boy.

"Come on!" Daphne muttered, pulling on Blaise and Draco's arms, as they howled with laughter. "Let's get to class early so we can make a good impression, and get Pansy a front row seat."

"Shut up Daphne!" Pansy moaned.

Draco grabbed a green apple and put it in his robe pocket to eat later. Then, the four Slytherins made their way to the defense against the dark arts classroom, and sat up front together to give the impression to their new teacher that they were very serious about their studies.

"Maybe he won't be too bad," Draco admitted. "His fondness for Potter is nauseating, but he has to be a better teacher than boring old Professor Quirrell. I'm pretty sure his dark lord given the task last year, was his first real taste of the dark arts."