TEN.

"Yes girl—hold on," Kash laughed on the phone with Aryn and Vaeh

"Yes girl—hold on," Kash laughed on the phone with Aryn and Vaeh. She was coming back from their lunch break and they were on group FaceTime. "I gotta be quiet now, they so hush hush in here," she mumbled, walked off the elevator on her floor.

"My office too! All these old white people," Aryn sighed.

"Girl—I wish it was quiet in here," Vaeh muttered, as they heard a dog barking loudly in the background. She worked in an  animal hospital downtown as a veterinary technician, and there was never a dull moment at her job.

"Sound like y'all in there killing that poor baby," Aryn teased.

"Girl—bye. Anyway, Kash why you looking so lost?" Vaeh said and she snapped back into the conversation. "Yes, you ma'am,"

"Oh, I-I was just reading an email," she lied, trying to cover up the fact that she was zoned out again. "But lemme tell y'all about this man," she rolled her eyes. "I have explicitly told him I'm not looking for a relationship nor am I looking for a relationship with my coworker and he cannot take a damn hint!" she ranted.

Frustrated wasn't the word she'd use to describe what was going on in the office. One of her female coworkers told her Wayne had done this more than once, but he brought in so much money, the higher ups didn't take much action besides a slap on the wrist.

She was trying her hardest to refrain from running and telling her dad and her brother, but she was getting close to her wits end and wanted to be left alone. She had already asked if she could move to a different cubicle because his was so close to hers, but if it was that easy, she wouldn't be complaining anymore.

"I'm telling you, with them kinda niggas, your only solution is a taser and some pepper spray. They don't take shit serious till they ass can't see," Aryn grimaced. "And you got Khy plus uncle Donovan who will gladly handle that," she pointed.

"I'm trying to avoid that," she explained. "I can't have my daddy and my big brother beating up on people here—especially because one of our bosses is white. Then they could call the cops or fire me and I do not need that," she sighed, rubbing her temple, getting annoyed.

"Then that mace is your best friend, sis," Vaeh co-signed. As she and Aryn began talking about something else, a text came through her phone, shifting her attention to it instead of the call—again.

siah😤: im not gon tell you no again sade.
: my name is sadé first of all. secondly PLEASEEEEE siah 🥺 im asking nicely

She had asked him to make her some of the brownies he made the group when they went on their trip in July, and he was not having it. But, Kash knew he always broke down eventually, so she was persistent.

Weirdly enough, she had been thinking about Kasiah a lot lately. Ever since that night Khy moved—two and a half weeks ago, she hadn't been able to stop. She didn't know if it was that look he gave her that night that literally paused her brain function, or what but she was confused.

"Sadé! Chile, what are you thinking about? We talking to you," Aryn fussed.

"Sorry! What happened? I was—um, typing something up," she said, trying hard not to make it sound like a question.