Chapter One

◜ ༄ ◞

◜ ༄ ◞

________________
Chapter One
The Guardians
________________

◜ ༄ ◞

            The rain hit harshly against the windshield, the heavy rainfall making it almost impossible to see the darkening road. There was nothing around but trees and road for miles, though she knew just by the twist and turns of the familiar road that she would soon be entering into the small neighboring town.

It had been a very long drive for the young woman, who only stopped strictly for gas and emergency naps when absolutely necessary. She had been driving for nearly three days in a car that wasn't her own. The older red Ford Mustang being in good condition thanks to its true owner.

Thirty minutes had passed and she had driven straight through the small town of Forks Washington without realization until the familiar sign welcoming newcomers into the small reservation she had grew up in passed by quickly.

She took in a deep breath and continued down the road she knew very well. Her fingers gripped onto the steering wheel tightly and her teeth clenched together harshly. Her mind kept telling her to turn back around and go somewhere else instead, but she had already driven all that way, she couldn't just turn back now. She couldn't continue to be the coward she was.

She hadn't seen her family in two years. The day she and her twin sister graduated high school early, she left and never looked back. She missed birthdays, holidays, funerals. She rarely called and only sent the occasional post card to let everyone know that she was well and alive. She had traveled across the country for the first year before settling in Arizona for the past year. She found the desert to be lovely, but deep down she missed her rainy state.

She missed her family too, don't be mistaken, but after her mother's death something had snapped inside of her. She spent the next couple of years saving and planning on leaving the reservation and never returning. She followed through with that plan the day she graduated, sneaking away that night, only leaving a note for her family to find the next day.

She avoided their phone calls for a few days, knowing very well that they would try and talk her into coming back. Surprisingly the one person she thought would be begging her to come back didn't. He told her that she was grown enough to make her own decisions, but he still begged her to call him if anything happened. A lot of things had happened to her but she certainly wasn't going to call despite his pleas.

She could take care of herself.

Or so she thought.

She took in another deep breath when the small red house came into view. The rain was still falling harshly, unfortunately having been traveling with her in the direction she was heading. The headlights illuminated the front of the house as she drove towards it, her headlights shining in the living room windows. She quickly switched off the lights and eventually turned off the engine. The rain blocked a clear view of the house but she could still make out the differences that had happened while she was away.