Chapter Four

◜ ༄ ◞

________________

Chapter Four

The Guardians

________________

◜ ༄ ◞

            Rena groaned when she heard someone knocking on the door. The bedroom was cold and dark from the curtains covering the windows. Multiple blankets were draped over her body because the heater stopped working around three in the morning, and since she didn't want anyone to know that she was back in town, she didn't go ask for another room. She could hear the rain hitting the windows softly, which meant that their nice days in La Push were over for awhile.

Hearing another knock against the door finally snapped her awake. She sat up and glanced at the clock that read ten in the morning, the bright red numbers blurring together from the sleep in her eyes. She kicked the blankets off of her body and stood up, her shaking legs dragging her towards the door. She unlocked the locks and slowly pulled the door open, her eyes squinting from the light. Embry stood there with a bright smile and a coffee in hand.

"Morning." He greeted, holding out the warm cup towards her. Rena took the cup from him and stepped back, opening the door wide enough for him to walk inside. "Damn it's cold in here. Is the heating broke or do you like to pretend that you're in Antarctica?" He teased, though he was actually worried if the heating had broke. The weather had flipped completely within hours after he left last night.

"It's broken." Rena sipped on the hot coffee as she walked towards her duffel bag. She unzipped the bag and grabbed out a new pair of clothing. She was happy that she had made the right decision to take a quick shower before she went to bed.

"Why didn't you ask to change rooms?" He questioned, watching her closely as she chose a warm outfit to wear.

"Because I'm not your aunt, dumb ass." She replied sarcastically. She finally settled on something to wear and made her way into the bathroom to change. "Did you talk to anyone since last night?" She asked, her voice slightly muffled from the door, though Embry could hear it clearly thanks to his superior hearing.

"Yeah. I spoke to Paul two hours ago." Embry answered, sitting down on the edge of the bed as he waited. He technically didn't lie, but definitely wasn't telling the whole truth. Paul was the first person he spoke to in person about yesterday. Paul wasn't Embry's first choice but now they had something in common and he needed to talk to someone who would understand.

"Oh? Does that mean nobody asked where I went last night?" She questioned, stepping out from the bathroom. She flicked on the bedroom lights and walked towards her bag, placing the clothes she slept in back into the bag and zipped it closed, making sure that everything she owned was together.