Chapter Three

◜ ༄ ◞

◜ ༄ ◞

________________

Chapter Three

The Guardians
________________

◜ ༄ ◞

                Rena placed everything neatly onto the countertop, lining the food up like Emily had asked her, and placed the plastic cups, cutlery, paper plates and bowls before the food. She had good presentation– probably thanks to her newer obsession to have the need for everything to look perfect.

Her father and Old Quil were the first people to show up. They had proudly brought the beer with a cooler filled with ice. Soon after, Jacob and Paul had shown up, but two others trailed inside behind them. Rena immediately recognized them as Sam Uley and Jared Cameron.

Rena knew Sam well because of Leah. She was never the closest with Leah, but they always got along well when they were together. As for Sam, Rena never paid much attention to him. He was always nice though, she remembered that much. That was until he went after Emily...

Jared was a distant relative to Billy, Rachel, Jacob, and Rena. He had spent plenty of time at the Black's residence when he was younger. Jared was always Rena's favorite cousin– mainly because he never judged her when she did something stupid. He was goofy and made her laugh instead of making her feel bad about her questionable actions. However, Rena had also gotten him into trouble plenty of times in the past, having him take the blame for things she did. Jared was only two years younger than her, but he still acted older than she was at the time. And that was saying a lot when it came to Jared.

"Rena!" Jared said excitedly, rushing towards her. She was immediately pulled into a tight embrace and lifted from her feet, her breath catching in the back of her throat from the unexpected action. "I missed you!"

Rena chuckled took a step away from him when he placed her back on the ground, taking in his new appearance. Much like Jacob, he had grown a foot or two, got bulky, and was ridiculously warm compared to her. What were they drinking around here? Steroids?

"I miss you too." She smiled brightly. "You look good, Jar. The last time I saw you, you were shorter than me and had baby chub. Now look at you! Body builder extraordinaire! What a look." She teased, poking his upper arm.

Jared rolled his eyes from her comment, but his smile stayed put across his features. "What can I say? I'm hot now."

"Sure you are, Jar-head." Paul scoffed, standing a few feet away with his arms wrapped around Rachel, who was cleaning the counter. "Whatever makes you sleep at night."