Interception (GOTG 2016)

Rhythmus had been thinking about his first mission for a while. He knew where he was going and what he was supposed to do, but he knew he was still a newbie. Couldn't Cap or one of the other Avengers take care of it?

"Dude." S.S.A.M.I. said as he appeared in his physical form. "You've got this. Your powers give you direct contact home, and I'll be here the entire time if you need me."

'Thanks, man.' He thought as he got the things he needed for the mission. The Quinjet was set for him to leave at 9:00 AM, and Steve and Natasha wanted to brief him on what he was supposed to do before he left.

After he left his room, he saw Wanda waiting outside for him. 

"Hey." He said as he hugged her. "You okay?" He asked, knowing he was leaving shortly after Pietro's funeral.

"I'll be alright. Just make sure you get back here." She said. 

"I promise. I'll come back." He responded. "Bye Wanda."

"Bye Rhythmus." She said before Rhythmus headed where Steve and Natasha were waiting. He went to one of the many computer rooms where the main Avengers worked, and on one of them, they had a hologram of the planet of Xandar.

"Hey Rhy." Natasha greeted as Rhythmus hugged them both. "Here's what you need to know." She said as she typed a location into the computer. 

"Thor says that Xandar is a residential planet. Your job is to look for intel on the Infinity Stones, whatever they are." She began. 

"You need to find where they are. If we know anything from Vision's stone, they fire off intense vibrations, and that's the best way to find them. No one knows about that better than you." Steve says. 

"We don't have a way to track you or contact you when you're that far out in space, so when you get back, you'll need to tell us what you know." Natasha says. 

"You run into trouble, get yourself out." Steve says. "'Cause we can't help you when you're out there. And I cannot stress this enough." His uncle says becoming stern. "You cannot share your whole identity. First name, alter-ego. Nothing else. Your name gets out across a seemingly endless universe, you'd be hunted, and some people don't rest until they kill who they're looking for. You sure you're up for this?" 

Rhythmus looks at the Quinjet and back to his Uncle and Aunt before he answers. "Yeah. Let's do it."

Tony had taken some time to get S.S.A.M.I. assimilated into a database after Sokovia, with necessary precautions of course, to make sure he didn't go all Ultron, and all Rhythmus had to do was put the drive with S.S.A.M.I. in it into the Quinjet, and he was off. Rhythmus waved to Steve and Natasha before the Quinjet left the New Avengers Facility. 

Rhythmus was sitting in the driver seat of the Quinjet, just having left Earth's atmosphere, when S.S.A.M.I., who was driving, spoke. "We're making the jump to light speed. You ready?" Rhythmus buckled himself in and took a deep breath before responding.

"Let's go." Not a moment after, the Quinjet went full speed through space and Rhythmus was pushed back in his chair as they sped on the course to Xandar. The Quinjet slowed down drastically, throwing Rhythmus forward in his seat and a number of planets suddenly appeared to him.

"Woah..." He said as he saw all of the alternate planets that existed beyond Earth. Rhythmus then heard some sputters from the back of the Quinjet, and his heart stopped.

"S.S.A.M.I. What was that?" He asked.

"Uuuuh, the heating system for the outside of the jet just broke. Both thrusters are kinda... frozen."