» chapter 7

"Fucking useless piece of shit."

Rintarou bit his lips to surpress a wince as he was thrown to the ground. The tall figure stood over him before they just harshly kicked him in the side, making him grunt. His eyes slowly squinted open as he heard footsteps fade away into the hallway.

Wiping the blood that trickled down his jaw, he sat up before looking to the side only to spot the long-haired woman unconscious. Sighing, he got up and walked over to her, limping. He picked up her thin figure before carrying her to her room where he had laid her on the bed before he'd gone to get the first aid kit.

Clearly unhappy about the fact his mother was hurt so badly once again, he began cleaning her wounds once he had laid her comfortably on the bed. This... Was what Rintarou's life was like. Pretty much nowhere near perfect.

Yes, he had some girls swooning over him and was in a popular powerhouse school. Yes, he was a volleyball player and an incredible blocker. Yes, he had friends who would sometimes bring a genuine smile to his face. But...

What about his home?

Living with an abusive father was traumatic and agonizing. It was something that cut off the imaginative white wings of his happy childhood. It was something that he had never dared to open up to anyone about.

This was the reason why he always wore anything that could cover his skin as much as possible during practice.

This was the reason why he would always go home as late as possible and leave before the sun's warmth could paint the sky in pinks and oranges.

This was the reason why Rintarou was scared to get attached to people.

He knew he could end up just as good as dead in this household, and that it would worry someone.

He was scared, that someone could be going through this as well. Getting attached with such big risks would only mean both parties getting hurt.

So Rintarou would've kept his reputation as a lone wolf;yes, his teammates were mostly mutuals, but not really friends. He was closest to the twins, and trust me when I say he wouldn't want to get tangled in their dumb antics.

Rin was definitely something else.

Most boys his age would've been seeking a future job or chase after girls, which he had given up long ago.

Maybe he should just join a gang and call it a day.

Or go to a club every night just to get laid.

Both of those options would seem less tiring to him than actually chasing after a good future which he knew he can't have in this cage.

He had no star he'd be chasing under a moon lit path, no star that could he see as the love of his life or a dream job, no goal to fulfill other than just rest in peace and quiet once he's gone.
Maybe, just maybe he'd be happier if he would only end it all. A single step into a deep abyss, just a handful of pills, just a few minutes underwater.

But was that really going to be his destiny?
What was the actual thing that held him back from doing so?

The answer is simple.

His mother would've felt so lonely and defenseless.
The twins wouldn't be coming out of their rooms for weeks.
Kita would be staring at an empty glass of alcohol, drunk out of his mind.
Aran's eyes would've been so red and puffy from all the tears.
Akagi's wrists would've been bloody again.

So he decided to just suck up all the pain and try to keep up with the relentless circle he was going through in this cage on daily basis, keeping quiet and ignoring the pain the best he could.

Sighing in relief as he had finished cleaning up her wounds, he went in front of the mirror. Hesitantly taking off his shirt, he was faced with dark blue bruises.
One on his left side, a very few on his back, a deep scrath that bled continuously on his obdomen.

So he decided to just let them be. There was no way he'd be able to treat his own wounds right now, considering treating his mother was also a bit of a challenge.

He was tired. Tired and hungry. He hadn't really eaten anything since school, and hadn't found any opportunities of sleeping in class or before practice.
Maybe... A bit of sleep wouldn't hurt him, right? Just a few minutes.

The only thought that crossed his mind before he'd passed out was somehow getting his mother out of this hellhole.

- - -

Currently sitting in the caffe opposite of Akagi, Kita let out a sigh. The two third years had come here as a hang out, but ended up talking a bit about their team as they didn't have a manager who'd be keeping track of everything.

"Atsumu really has to perfect his receives a bit, so I hope you will help him a bit about those, Michinari. And count Suna in on that as well." Kita sighed before taking a sip of his espresso.

"Hey uhm, Kita-san...-" "-Shinsuke." Kita interrupted. "...Shinsuke. Is it just me or has Suna been acting more and more off lately? He's also been slacking off way more than usual." Akagi brought up.

These two were the main ones when it came to helping their teammates get as comfortable as possible, and also the ones to do the scolding.

Suna had been their theme for a while now. Specifically since Akagi had noticed the blocker limping and leaving his house much earlier than he should.

"...Now that you mention it, yes. I had tried to ask him about it, but he seemed tired out of his mind and didn't answer." Shinsuke breathed, recalling their practice match just a bit ago.

"Hm... So what shall we do about it?" Michinari questioned.

"The most we can do is wait until he's comfortable telling us."