setter position

「 15:51 ! friday afternoon ! 」

15:51 ! friday afternoon !

you were in your dorm, lazing around. as always. you were doing extra work, here and there. you would do 30 minutes of work on your laptop, then would scroll through tiktok for another 30, laptop, then tiktok, and so on.

you were in the middle of a tiktok before your phone started ringing in the middle of it. "ugh, what now. hello?"

it was bokuto, "y/n!! are you bored? come watch the try outs right now!" he said through the phone, panting.

"what try outs?" you asked but then hit your palm against your forehead, "right, volleyball. there's a new setter position open, right?"

"yep," bokuto answered, "so are you coming or not? i know how much you like setters!" your best friend laughed on the other end.

"am i even allowed in?"

"some of konoha's fan girls are here, so i'm guessing, yes?"

"hmmm... fine... see you."

you put your phone in a tiny bag and changed into something more flattering. i mean— if there are going to be potential D1 athletes there, you have to look good.

you grabbed a clear umbrella due to the weather, it was currently drizzling. pitter patter of rain droplets on the window, gray painting the sky. perfect weather.

you went down the elevator, seeing a few people along the way, saying hi to them. once you reached the entrance of your building, you looked up at the sky, were you daring enough to yolo it? no. don't ruin your hair. remember, there are going to be setters there.

you opened the clear, plastic umbrella. the sound of rain dropping on it was calming. you made your way to the gym, stepping in puddles here and there. the gym was farther than the library. the campus was giant, so it took you a few minutes longer than expected to get there.

୨୧

16:13

after about 10 minutes— (it shouldn't have taken you 10 minutes but you're a turtle so) of walking, you arrived in the specific volleyball gym. yes, the campus was that prestige, they had a gym specifically for volleyball.

squeaking of shoes, volleyballs bouncing, and words such as 'nice kill' , 'one touch , 'chance ball' could be heard echoing throughout the building. bokuto was currently practicing his hits before you waved at him and walked over.

"i feel like i would break my hand if i hit the ball that hard," you chuckled at your friend, who was bouncing a volleyball up and down, "are your hands okay?"

bokuto looked at you with disbelief, "of course! i do this everyday y/n, did you forget that?" he teased you, pretending to have a hurt face,"these hands could do more than smack volleyballs, you know!" he attempted to smirk.

"that's disgusting, bo!"

his teammate, who's also one of your acquaintances, konoha came over, "smack my ass like a drum," he sang to bokuto.

your face looked like you've just eaten something disgusting while bokuto hit a ball in konoha's direction, "that's atrocious, konoha. y/n, you can sit on the bleachers. i have to call everyone over," he gestured to the metal bleachers off to the side.

being the amazing athlete he is, bokuto was the captain of university of tokyo's volleyball team, which is one of the best teams in the entire world, college-wise.

everyone started gathering around him, probably talking about the new setter position that opened.

"when are the people trying out going to get here?" one of the players asked, looking around the gym.

bokuto looked at the clock that was mounted on the wall. "in about five to ten minutes. this sucks. our old setter injured and stuff!"

they kept talking about how they were so devastated about the old setter leaving. but what will be, will be.

"while we're waiting, let's just do more drills before the possible setters start coming," bokuto suggested to uplift the mood. they nodded and started doing receiving, hitting, serving drills to pass the time.

you could see your friend starting to get impatient. the setters weren't late, but bokuto would've appreciated it more if they were earlier.

bokuto grumbled in annoyance, "when are they going to get here-" he was mid-statement before the gym doors open, revealing five to ten players competing for the same position, "oh! they're here!"

the volleyball players stopped their drill to greet them.

unfortunately, none of them really caught your eye. you looked down on your phone, lowkey disappointed. bro, no attractive setters? really?

bokuto was whisper-yelling your name, you mouthed a 'what?' in a confused tone before going back to your phone, scrolling through instagram.

you were still on your phone before bokuto spoke up. "introduce yourselves."

one by one, they all stated their names, years, and goals for this school year. none of this was really interesting to you, until...

"i'm akaashi keiji. first year." a sweet voice spoke.

you looked up to see him and hear his familiar voice. you made eye contact with him. he lightly did that smirk and eye roll combo, making you widen your eyes.

of course he's a setter.