Past shenanigans

"It's set up." Bruce informed them. "We are ready."

All the Avengers nodded seriously as they gathered around the quantum-time travel machine. Loki was sitting on a chair nearby, so he was at least off the floor as Tony and Scott began to explain how it was going to work with the special suits stored in bracelets.

They split up into smaller teams, and went over the details of who was going to go where and when for which stone, and known hazards and obstacles for each.

Loki tuned out much of the discussion. Thor was going back to Asgard to get the Reality stone while it was still inside of Jane. He'd have the snarky raccoon as back up, which Loki considered less than ideal. Really, though, Thor was the only choice for that one. He was the only one even remotely familiar with Asgard.

Well him and Loki... But Loki was staying behind. And the second Thor figured that out he just looked heart broken.

Damn that big teddy bear. Now Loki felt guilty for not going with Thor on this adventure.

"Okay people, fifteen minutes and we are going. Get ready!" Tony proclaimed and people spread out to make last minute checks and preparations.

Thor just stood there, chewing his lip and tightening his fists. He looked nervous, beyond nervous. Then he closed his eyes and took a deep breath and then... he started to shake.

Loki jumped up and crawled under his robe on the table, transforming under it so he could walk over to Thor and place a grounding hand on his shoulder.

It seemed to help a little. Thor was still shaking, taking deep gasping breaths, but no longer hyperventilating.

"Norns. It's still so weird seeing you like this." Loki commented with a smirk whend Thor looked up. "When we were kids, you were never scared of anything. You would set your mind upon the dumbest, most reckless adventures that would obviously get you hurt and force me to step in and save your idiotic hide. But you never flinched."

Thor smiled, defeated. "I suppose at that time I thought I was invincible." he admitted. "Also... at that time, it was only myself I was concerned about."

Loki nodded. "We rarely considered that our actions might actually affect others did we?" he asked and Thor blushed deeply. "No need to look like that, I do believe we were equally guilty of that particular sin." he admitted.

Thor glanced up, his blue and golden eyes looking so innocent as he searched Loki's face for... something. Damn him, he had been through so much and he was still just a pure soul.

How in the All-Father's name was that possible?! Thor in the past had been so arrogant and ignorant! It had been his defining characteristic in their youth! But... he was never malicious.

Thor had never wanted to spread hurt, it was only that he never really thought about or grasped what the consequences of his actions might be. It simply hadn't occurred to him that Jotunns had feelings. Honestly, it hadn't really occurred to Loki either.

That was different now though, the complete opposite. Too much so, even.

Loki sighed. "We were raised always being told we were better than everyone else." he pointed out. That though only seemed to make Thor look even more ashamed. "I was just trying to say." Loki tried, but was lost for words. "I just... urghh." he groaned rubbing his eyes.

Thor closed his eyes. "What if I fail?" he asked in a quiet voice. "What if I'm just not good enough for this?"

"You won't fail." Loki stated simply, and Thor's eyes flew open.