Anthology | Prologue

LORELEI

LORELEI

WHEN I joined the QED Club, I was appointed as vice president to the founder and president, Loki Mendez. Officers are usually elected by the members, not appointed. Pero iba kasi ang kaso ng club na 'to: Dadalawa lang kami na miyembro. I tried to raise an objection to the appointment, but Loki did not give me any chance to protest. Basta ang sabi niya, dahil ako ang ikalawang member ng kaniyang club, ako na agad ang vice niya.

Looking back, I did not want to join this club. At first. Ang gusto ko lang na gawin ay magsimula ng panibagong buhay rito sa Pampanga, malayo sa lugar na nagbigay sa 'kin ng mapait na alaala. A fresh start, a new life, so they say. When I enrolled in Clark High, I honestly thought I would be having a more peaceful high school life here. But things happened one after another. I got drawn into something I did not expect I would be.

Now here I am. A proud member of the QED Club.

It all started with the mysterious man who was leaving gifts in my locker. Ugh! I shiver every time I remember that creepy dude. Troubled by this bothersome stalker, I was told by my classmate Rosetta to consult the club. I went to the clubroom on the third floor and met Loki there, who also happened to share the same apartment unit with me. I asked him to unmask my unwelcome suitor, and he accepted my request.

Nang ma-expose niya ang taong nasa likod ng misteryo, I thought that would be the end of our interaction. Hindi kasi naging maganda ang pag-uusap namin noon. But no! That was just the beginning of a new chapter—maybe a new "book" would be more appropriate—of my high school life.

He tried to test my "deduction skills" by scaring me in our apartment. Yeah, we don't have any special relationship, but we live under one roof. But take note: Magkahiwalay kami ng kuwarto. Luckily I found out about his trick to scare me and confronted him about it. Alam n'yo ba kung ano ang dahilan niya? He said he wanted to recruit me not only as a member, but also a chronicler of his cases.

Why chronicler, you ask? I was writing a blog about my new experiences back then. I had no idea how he found my blog, but he did. He must be a good online stalker or something. He wanted me to be the Watson to his Holmes. Tumanggi ako noong una dahil wala akong interes maging involved sa kanyang exploits bilang self-proclaimed high school detective. But after his attempt to blackmail me, I gave in.

Napilitan ba akong mag-stay rito sa club? Noong una, oo. But as I got involved in solving some cases, I began to see the value of it. Bringing wrongdoers to justice. Solving problems. Saving lives. May fulfillment akong nararamdaman tuwing may naso-solve kaming case. Maybe that's the reason why I stayed in the club. Because I enjoy helping people. They come to us with their problems and we try to solve them.

Thanks to our exploits that I posted online, we caught the attention of some organizations in Clark High. One of them is the Clark Clarion, our official student publication. Our adventures piqued their curiosity. I heard that their editor-in-chief was a huge fan of my blog kaya naisipan niyang offer-an ako na i-publish ang ilan sa mga entry ko sa kanilang literary folio. I agreed! How could I say no? The opportunity was knocking on my door and I decided to grab it.