Anthology | Many Happy Returns 04: Have a Blast

LOKI

LOKI

THE ENTIRE morning period, I was thinking about what kind of bomber would go through the trouble of dropping some hints about his terrifying plot. There's no need for that person to make an effort of using lemon juice to hide his message, cutting sheets of paper into pieces and scattering them around the campus. That's an unnecessary and dumb move. He could have let the bomb explode at his discretion. But no. I felt like he was asking to be caught.

They're probably so bored, they wanted to see a commotion before they press that button. What a spawn of the devil! But if that's the case, I would understand their thirst for the thrill and craving for personal satisfaction. He wanted to be creative. He wanted to be eviler.

If I were the bomber, I would have done things differently. I wouldn't have left a clue on what's about to happen. I'd set the timer at noon or set off the bomb once there are more students within the range of explosion and watch the chaos that ensues.

Because they didn't think the way that I did, they made a serious blunder. They're a fool! If they intended to challenge us to stop the bomb from going off, then they got it. I'm taking up that challenge and I'm gonna win.

While I wanted to unmask who's behind this threat, I didn't have much time to check the surveillance footage and see who was throwing away those pieces of paper. I could come after that person once I thwart their plan.

As the clock inched toward eleven-thirty in the morning, Rhea and I met in the clubroom. I arrived here a minute before she did.

"Kumusta ang morning classes n'yo?" That's the first question she threw the second she saw me seated in my favorite spot. "Hindi ka naman siguro nag-cut ng classes, 'no?"

"Of course not," I answered. "I made a promise, remember?"

Throughout the morning period, I was in my classroom. I stayed there, but my mind was elsewhere. I promised to attend my classes, but I didn't say I was gonna listen. I couldn't even remember what our instructors taught during the lectures.

"Good!" She smiled at me as she settled herself into a chair. "Have you figured out kung saan posibleng itinago ang bomba?"

I tossed the piece of paper where the secret message was revealed on the table. "The hints didn't explicitly say anything about the location. But I found some of their choice of words peculiar."

"Choice of words?" She smoothened the paper on the tabletop.

I leaned forward and drew an imaginary line under a word with my index finger. "He used the word 'electrifying'. If I were the bomber, I would have used a more apt term, like today's gonna be blasting or burning! So why choose electrifying? There must be a reason why."

"Now that you mentioned it, pati ang word na 'projection,' parang weird, 'no?" Rhea pointed at that word. "Hindi naman sa pinapangunahan natin ang bomber, pero pwede siyang gumamit ng mas simpleng words. You might be right. May dahilan kung bakit ito ang mga salitang pinili niya."