Chapter 28(Part 2)

We arrived at the restaurant. It wasn't exactly fancy but it was cozy and it looked nice. We were shown to a table at the secluded part of the restaurant. It felt nice.

Tony being the perfect gentleman that he is pulled out my chair for me. Our waiter came and took our orders. "So", Tony began, "have I mentioned that you look really great tonight?" I giggled, "only like a million times".

"Well you do. You know I was really nervous about this date. I haven't had a real girlfriend in a while", he admitted. My eyes widened in surprise. "Really? You were nervous?"

He nodded. Just then the waiter arrived with our food. "I was nervous too", I admitted slowly after a bite of food, "I mean it was like a dream come true. This guy that I've crushed on for years might finally like me back". I felt my face flame at my confession.

I felt him put his hand on top of mine. "Hey it's okay really. I've crushed on you for years too". My head jerked up at that. "No way". He nodded, "yes way. I've been crushing on you ever since you were my tour guide. I remember the day I got introduced to you".

He laughed at the memory. He had on that far away look on his face as if he was reliving it. "You were wearing jeans and a cute pink top complete with ballet flats and your hair was in a French braid. I remember thinking... beautiful. I think I've liked you since then".

Ok wow. I was stunned at this confession. He remembered what I wore down to my shoes. "No", I disagreed, "you couldn't have liked me. I'm pretty sure you didn't like me until recently. A week later you stopped talking to me".

He frowned at that but didn't deny what I said. By now, we had both finished eating and the waiter came to collect our dishes. A few minutes later he came back with our dessert, a chocolate fudge cake. Yummy.

We were eating our cake in silence for a while that I thought he wouldn't answer me but eventually he did.

"I did ignore you after we met", he agreed and I felt my heart crack at that even though I already knew. "But that was only because I didn't know better", he finished.

I got confused at that. "What do you mean?" He sighed, "well I found out you were a cheerleader". I was still confused and I'm pretty sure it showed on my face. "What does that have to do with anything?" I asked.

"I had a bad experience with cheerleaders and until recently I bore a resentment against them". I understood that or at least I thought I did. I took a bite out of my cake. "It's okay Tony. I'm guessing you had an ex girlfriend who was one who broke your heart".

He gave a bitter chuckle. "I wish it was that". Then he stabbed his cake and stuck a piece in his mouth. We were silent for a while, each of us eating our dessert. I saw an array of emotions cross his face, joy, sadness, sorrow.

I placed my hand over his. "It's okay. You don't have to talk about it if you don't want to". "No I do wanna talk about it...with you. It's just hard to talk about". I didn't say anything instead I just took another bite out of my cake. It was up to him whether he wanted to speak or not.

"I had a sister once", he began. I conjured up an image of a girl with black hair and brown eyes that looked exactly like him. Then it hit me, had? "Wait you had a sister?" I asked emphasizing the ‘had’.

He gave a sad smile. "Yeah. She died". I sucked in a breath. "Killed herself", he finished making me drop my fork. "Oh my gosh I'm so sorry", I said squeezing his hand. "It's not your fault. You don't need to be sorry". He interlaced our fingers together and I tried not to think about how good it felt. Now was not the time.

"My sister, you see, was chubby, what most people would call fat. I didn't care though. I loved Esme. She was my baby sister and I loved her". "Esme?" I inquired. He chuckled, "yeah Esmeralda but she hated that and made everyone call her Esme instead".