Chapter 18

"Shoot them!" Alex screams for the hundredth time since we got into this stupid car chase. I groan and pinch my eyes shut. "Yeah, great idea Alex. I'll just continue shooting at random things on the street until my aim miraculously gets better," I grumble, throwing my hands up in exasperation. 

"Well there is literally no harm in trying!" He retorts back coldly, swerving into another lane. I furrow my eyebrows, wondering where the hell he was when I accidentally shot a man in the foot as he peacefully walked on the sidewalk, minding his own business. No harm, huh?

"Jeez, you driving is going to get us killed before I do..." I mumble under my breath, glancing in the rearview mirror at the cars gaining on us. Suddenly, a small rock-sized ball tumbles trough the already-broken back window and lands down by my feet. I glance down as bullets cease to fire at us for a few seconds. "What the... Shit."

Sitting at my feet was a grenade will the pin pulled. I quickly open my door and struggle to kick the grenade out, ending up picking it up with my bare hands and biffing it back towards the other cars. It hits and explodes, resulting in them losing control of the car and flipping it. As I was still leaning out my car door, Alex swiftly takes a sharp turn and then slams on his breaks. The SUV behind us comes speeding past and I ducked back into the car just in time as the car smashes off my car door. It goes flying in front of us, skidding across the road. 

My jaw drops and I deadpan at Alex. A guilty smile adorns his face as he begins driving me. "You little bastard! That could have been my head!" I scowl up at him. "But it wasn't?" It comes out as more of a question as he awkwardly chuckles and shrugs. 

I glare and shake my head. "Nope, that's it! I'm driving," I hiss, throwing my gun into the back seat and getting ready to take his place. When he doesn't move, I simply shrug. I unbuckle his seatbelt from where he sat and clamber across the small area between us. I settle for sitting on his lap, kicking his feet of the gas and commandeering the steering wheel. 

"Damn, okay then," he sneers, his hand creeping around my hip. He pulls the seatbelt down around us and clicks it into place. I turn my face up in amusement at him. "What? Seatbelts save lives!" 

"Are you going to shoot or just sit there and look pretty?" I rasped, speeding up and dodging cars as we make our way onto a bridge. "I can shoot and look pretty," he snickered, picking up one of the guns from the bag. 

He rolls down his window and wipes some dust off his mirror. He angles it and then twists slightly from behind me. He shoots two shots and within seconds, the first car had flipped and knocked out the one behind it. 

I turn to look at him in confusion. "You could have done that this whole time and yet insisted on driving?" I splutter, merely dodging a pickup truck. 

"I am a man of many talents." He smirks down and rests his chin lightly on my shoulder. "I have a migraine," he groans, pinching his eyes shut. "So do I but you don't hear me complaining about it," I retort. 

"I'm going to lose them," I state, nodding my head. Alex chuckles and tucks a strand of hair behind my ear. "That is the kind of positivity we like to hear!" He muses, sounding a lot like the overly-happy counsellors back at that horrid boarding school.

I speed up even more, ducking in front of a large truck, thanking my lucky stars as another truck pulls up beside it, blocking the SUVs from getting any closer. I weave through traffic until quickly turning into a small side street. I slow down quite an extensive amount, only now realizing how fast I was actually going. I pass through another few streets before pulling over, waiting and watching in the rear-view mirror. 

"You did it bitch," Alex cheers, wrapping his arms tightly around my stomach. "Not yet," I grumble, noticing a motorbike parked at the end of the alley, waiting. Alex groans and presses his head into the headrest in annoyance.