A New Friend For Miyoung

The candle lit softly on top of the beautiful birthday cake. Seven candles for marking her seven years old birthday. Smiling to her mother, Miyoung was ready to blew the candles. But her mother held her hand, indicating that she had to wait for her daddy to come. Daddy said he will come home earlier since it's Miyoung's birthday. She just hope the man won't lose track in the middle of his laboratory, caught up in his newest machine.

Nodding as she understood, Miyoung just admiring her blue and white creamed cake. Her fingers itched to touch the small blue flowers around the cake. It looks so delicious to her young eyes. Reaching to touch the flower, Miyoung glance to her mother who was busy preparing the drink.

"Miyoung, happy birthday!!" he stopped what she was doing as Daddy's voice filled the dining room. Miyoung sat up from her sat as she saw Daddy walking to her direction with a big box in his hug.

"What is that dad? What is that, dad?" her voice filled with curiosity and excitement. Her dad just laughing seeing his daughter reaction. Placing the big box on the floor carefully, Daddy brush her hair softly and leading her to the dining table.

"Blew your candle first, then we could open the present!"

Eagerly, Miyoung hoped to her seat. Mother and Daddy sat on her sides, smiling. The little girl grinned from ear to ear.

"Don't forget to make your wish." Mother said, making Miyoung stopped from blewing her candles then laced her small fingers together in a praying manner.

"I hope I could have a friend," she mumbled before blewing the candles. Mother and Daddy claps their hand before they kissed either side of Miyoung's cheeks.

"Happy birthday honey," they said in union.

"Daddy, can we open your gift now?" she asked happily. Daddy just nodded his head, walking to the big gift as eager as Miyoung was. The box was taller than Miyoung's height, and the girl can't wait to open it. What would be waiting inside the box? Endless amount of chocolate? A big dog? A big stack of clay?

She glance to his father, asking for permission. Daddy just nodded his head, then helped Miyoung to open the big gift. As the box was opened, Miyoung blinked her eyes in confuse. A full bunch of hair?

Her father reach inside to take whatever inside the box. Miyoung gaped in surprise. Her father just lifted a boy from the box. A boy! A human boy!

He placed the boy on the floor. Miyoung examined him closely. Strangely, the boy's eyes closed and he looks dead. What is it? A doll? But he look too real.

His skin was soft, feels exactly like her own skin. He got short black hair that feel nice on the tip of Miyoung's fingertips. The pinkish red lips of his slightly apart as Mi Young examined his facial features. He looks like he was just sleeping. And he looks too real to be a doll.

"What is it, daddy?" she asked as she hesitantly touched the cheek of the boy. He was immobilized, and Miyoung kept poking his cheek in curiosity.

"Don't tell me you are kidnapping a kid when he played on the sand box near here, dad." she squinting her eyes at her father. The man just let out a chuckle, finding his daughter suspicion is just simply adorable.

"His name is Hope, Daddy made him to be your friend." Miyoung looked at her father, still confuse.

"Try to say this," her father kneeled to her level before whispering something.

"Hello, Hope." Miyoung repeated what her father had whispered to her.

The boy's eyes started to flicker open, making Miyoung step back from him. He bat his eyelashes few times, looking right and left. The boy's immediately smiling as he found Miyoung's eyes.

"Hello, I'm Hope, let's be friends!" the boy's talked, giving his hand to Miyoung. The timid girl who had been taking a cover behind her father's leg just stare at him, didn't dare to take it.

"Miyoung, he was just a robot Daddy made for you. You don't have to be scared of him." Her father laughed seeing his daughter's reaction.

Miyoung had been a shy girl since she was so small. Growing in a big house with just her, her parents and a few housemaids made her grew up into a shy and quiet girl when she met a new people. She was actually pretty bubbly. But when it comes to meeting the world outside, she can't help but covering herself in an invisible shell. Thus, made her hard to socialize and make friends.

That's why Daddy made Hope. The name Hope itself held the meaning that he had so much hope that Hope could help his daughter. To make her not lonely anymore.

"Come on, try to shake his hand." Daddy whispered to Miyoung, shoving her daughter's back to encourage her. Miyoung step forward, her eyes scanning the human robot in front of her. The robot smile widely and friendly, somehow making her feeling at ease. She reach out hesitantly to grab his hand, grabbing it firmly before Hope shaking it.

"Great. What's your name?" Hope asked cheerfully. Miyoung giving a shy smile at him, stuttering her name.

"M-Miyoung."

"Miyoung! From now on, we are friend! Ah, and isn't today your birthday? Happy birthday! We should celebrate it!"

Miyoung blinked her eyes as Hope suddenly grabbed her hands, inviting her to jump with him. A smile started to form on Miyoung lips as she jump following Hope's move. Hope started to sang Happy Birthday song funnily, make Miyoung laughed and started to sing along.

Daddy saw the reaction between his daughter and the robot he had made in satisfaction. He was working on Hope for years and finally, the robot worked perfectly like he had been predicted.

"Honey," a pair of hand grab Daddy's arm, grasping it in a worry manner. He glance toward his wife, before looking at their daughter who played with balloons with Hope.

"Are you sure giving her the robot is a good decision?" Mother asked worrily. Daddy just grinned, patting his wife hand to assure her.

"Don't worry, he is my greatest invention! He acts exactly like a human boy, and I included him with emotion sensor that reflects Miyoung expression so that he will react based on Miyoung's mood. He could be the smartest robot in the world!" Daddy continue listing Hope's special features proudly, while Mother just watching his daughter.

"What if Miyoung won't be able to be friends with anyone because she already feel comfort with the robot?"

Daddy stopped his talking, before smiling softly, "Don't worry, I make him to help Miyoung build up her social skill." he said.

"Daddy!" Miyoung ran toward his dad, smiling widely. Daddy never saw his daughter smiling this wide before.

"Hope could do a cool dance! He is so cool!" Miyoung said cheerfully then told Hope to do a dance. The robot do a simple move, but enough to make Miyoung laughing. Daddy and Mother laughing along with her, clapping their hand as Hope did another move.

"But when things weren't going according to my plan," Daddy continued his talking as Hope and Miyoung going somewhere again.

"I will deactivate him anytime."