Chapter 14: Back to Tatooine

The air is thick with tension. The baby sits on my lap playing with one of the many toys I've bought him. Din's visor is piercing into me.

"How do you know him?" Anger lingers in his voice.

"I told you I was spying on Jaba for some time. He always seemed to be there." Din like usual doesn't respond, "Why did you bring him up anyway?"

"He might be able to help."

"He doesn't help anybody. Plus he's dead."

"You don't know that."

"Din I pushed him into a Sarlacc pit myself. He's dead."

"You don't know that." He repeats, "Wait you pushed him?"

"He was trying to kill me and my friends I had too. Jaba and all his people wanted me and my friends dead so that day we got rid of the problem."

He stares at me from across the table, tilting his head. I can sense the anger coming off of him. Mad that I argued. Mad that I didn't tell him I knew Boba. Not too happy with that face that I tried to kill a Mandalorian.

"How many more Mandalorians do you know?" There it is. He is mad but he doesn't have the right to be. I mean he has how many secrets? I could decide to be a bitch and argue some more but it's probably better I don't.

"Only one more."

"Who is he?"

"She is somebody I fought in the rebellion with."

"Why didn't you tell me before?"

"Why does it matter? Jealous you're not the first Mandalorian I've ever met?"

He doesn't respond. Obviously, I hit a nerve somewhere. The tension is the air gets impossibly thicker and the only sound is the kid cooing in my lap still playing with his toy. Din stands up and just walks off to the cockpit. He puts the ship into hyperdrive and makes no sound so I know he'll be there for a while.

"Your dad can be annoying sometimes," I whisper to the kid who just giggles in response.

*

I lay in bed reading a book. The kid is fed, bathed, and is sleeping peacefully in his cot. Din has been in the cockpit all day avoiding all his problems. The sound of the door opening causes me to look up and see a slouching Din.

"I'm sorry," he mumbles.

I put my book down, "I'm sorry what? What was that I didn't catch that?"

"Aurora.."

"Honestly Din I didn't hear it." I bite back my smile.

He sighs, "I said I was sorry."

"For?"

"Getting angry earlier." He strips off his armor and sits at the edge of the cot placing a hand on my ankle, "Forgive me cyar'ika?"

"I'll think about it." This time I let my smile show, "No but seriously do that again and I'll shoot you."

"I wouldn't doubt it." He turns off the light, takes off his helmet, and lays beside me. He pulls me into his side, "I love you cyar'ika."

"Love you too."

*

The kid floats in his little pod next to me and Din. We walk through the dark and cold planet. With nobody around, Din's hand is holding mine. There's graffiti everywhere. Each piece of art tells a different story. This city has been long abandoned, the only people around here are criminals.