🌸Harsh Reality🌸

"I get the mask back and I leave." I huffed to myself tying up my corset and pulling the skirt over my petticoat and tying it too. I grabbed my bag and walked over to the mirror, I struggled pushing against the dresser and shoving against the wall. I grasped the corner and bent over in exhaustion. "Jesus...Christ." I said between breaths. I looked at the black cloth and ripped it down. I rolled it up and set it on my bed and looked back at the mirror. "Let's get this over with." The memorable dampness hit me the second I walked in and the sound of trickling water seemed to annoy me more than normal. When I arrived at the normal docking place for the gondola was empty. I looked around the surrounding waters but it was nowhere in sight. I looked in front of me through the dim lighting of the torches and it seemed to be a straight walkway from where I was standing, other than the maybe five foot distance of water between me and that walkway. I let out an annoyed sigh and took a few steps back. "Well...let's hope I don't spend yet another day touching that disgusting water." I spoke to myself in a disgruntled tone. I lifted the bottom of my skirt up and took a couple more steps back and ran forward jumping. I landed unsteadily against the rigid ricks and steadied myself on the cement wall in front of me. I pushed myself off and walked down the long corridor to the gate. I fixed my dress as I neared the gate and pressed myself against the wall as the walkway grew tighter. I looked up, he was standing there looking at the mask, his back facing me. "Hello?" I whispered, pressing my hands against the gate to keep from falling. He turned around and looked at me before silently walking over to the lever and not saying a word. I looked at him, he was still admiring the mask. He seemed emotionless but yet emotionful at the same time. I lifted my dress and stepped hesitantly into the water. It climbed up my leather boots touching the top of my stocking garter. I shuddered and waded through the water coming up to the concrete. He placed a hand out for me quietly and still not speaking. "Well." I said standing and looking at him. He looked up at me, his normal brooding features stared back at me. He looked down at his hand and raised the mask up to me. I took it delicately and slid it into my purse. "Thank you." I said quietly, he helped me down to the gondola and allowed me to leave on it. I got almost out the gate before I turned to face him, "goodbye." I said looking at his back. He turned around to face me. "Goodbye." He said quietly in a deep dark tone. I looked down and went back to rowing. I felt a deep sadness somewhere in my chest but I overpowered it with my frustration and continued on till I arrived at the staircase up to the mirror. I pushed open the mirror door and walked into my room looking around. There were some things I'd like to take with me, a necklace, a couple bows from ballet, a fan, a pamphlet for the play of course, my copy of The Masque of the Red Death, and the letter opener with my initials. I slid all of these things into my satchel and walked out to the foyer of the opera house. I looked around soaking in the beautiful room I'd become so accustomed to, it had almost become my second home. I walked over to the heavy opera doors, it was still early and the doormen had yet to arrive so it was perfect timing. I slid my hand into my satchel and grasped the mask tightly in my hand. "Goodbye." I whispered once more. I grasped the handle and closed my eyes pulling the door open and pushing myself out. The smell of Paris in the morning hit me, it was fresh and clean. A hint of pastries and coffee from the local cafes, the smell of ladies perfume and men's cologne followed short. I felt the hot sun beat down on my face and I lifted my hand to shade my closed eyes. "I'm back baby." I said opening my eyes slowly. The empty streets of Paris surrounded me, the old antique gas lamps seemed as shiny as the day they were placed, and the cobblestone streets were barely worn. I stepped down the steps before I noticed I was still in my gown. "Weird." I whispered looking down and resting against the pillar beside me. I stood there for a minute before, "a pillar?" I said pushing off and looking at it. "But the ballet studio doesn't have-." I stopped myself as the sound of distant carriages filled my ears. "No!" I let out sliding my hand back into the bag grabbing the mask. I ran towards the door and pushed it open, stumbling inside. "What am I doing wrong?" I questioned. I looked down and the mask was still the same, I was duped. Nothing else in my bag could've caused this. The mask was the only thing I was touching. "No no no!" I yelled I didn't care about the scene I was making. Meg ran over to me taking my arm. "Antoinette what bothers you?" She questioned pulling me away from the door. "You wouldn't understand." I said quietly, my voice breaking. "Oh come let's take you back to your dressing room." She remarked leading my stumbling self towards the room I'd grown to distaste and sitting me on the bed. "Would you like to tell me what disturbs you." She questioned. I shook my head no and dropped it in defeat. "Very well I'll get you some tea, excuse me." She said turning and leaving the room. I let out an anguished cry and fell back against the bed grabbing my pillow and crying into it. The tears flowed out of me uncontrollably and I soon couldn't stop them. I couldn't fathom the fact that I'd never go home. That I would never see my friends or family, my mother and father, my sister they had to be worried sick. I sobbed into my pillow as Meg walked back in setting the tea down and leaving. I couldn't release myself from this torment, I felt defeated and depressed. There was no motivation for me to get up or to go on with my day. I rolled over staring at the ceiling and wiping my eyes. "Oh god...what have I done."