act four ; building trust

"I still can't believe how quickly you managed to recover, Miss (Y/n)."
The doctor in charge of you said as she checked your vitals again for the third time, unable to believe her eyes. She sweatdropped and with a heavy heart, finally stated those magic words that you've been waiting for.

"W-Well, it really seems like you're already in the pink. I'll prepare the paperwork for your discharge. Your clothes are in that cupboard over there," she pointed to the small wooden cabinet in front of your hospital bed. "You can change into them and take your leave."

"Yes, thank you very much, Doc." You offered her a small smile in gratitude.

"You're very much welcome, Miss. Please take better care of yourself from now on."

Meanwhile, Kuro was resting on the bedside chair. Kuro peaked one of its eyes to watch as you walked to the cabinet. You softly hummed a tune. There was a smile tugging on your lips and a shine to your eyes which made him wonder in curiosity.
"I'm impressed, to say the least. You've just seen the horrific past you experienced, yet you're in a rather better mood than previously. Are you stupidly brave or are you just masochistic in nature?"

Stopping your movements, you glanced to the black cat sprawled on the chair. You gave him a questioning look and gave him a taste of your sarcasm.
"Would you like me to cry like a baby then, your highness?"

One glance is already enough to notice the cat's annoyed expression.
"Enough of your snarky remarks. Spill it out already. Didn't Sukuna traumatise you at all, even in the slightest?"
Even though his tone may be harsh, Kuro turned his face away from facing in your direction, respecting your privacy.

You simply gave him one last look before resuming pulling off your hospital gown and changing into your former school attire. They were a bit ragged and torn due to that previous incident but it'll do for now. Giving Kuro's question some thought, you realised that maybe you weren't sure of yourself either.

"Hm...Truthfully, I don't know...It's just..." Your fingers reached to gently trace the scar adorning your cheek. You thought back to the moment when the special grade curse held you over his shoulders and used his sharp nails to create that wound on your skin. You even remembered how he effortlessly threw you all over the place, which was the main reason why you got sent to the hospital for major treatments.

You knew he was a dangerous being, simply capable of killing you at any time, yet...

...Reminiscing the moment he gave you a second chance, whether it be intentional or purely coincidental, you couldn't forget the fact that he spared your life.

"...I can't seem to bring myself to hate him..."

With that, Kuro broke into a fit of laughter.
"Are you serious? Pfft, it's just a short encounter with him, but you're already having Stockholm Syndrome? How pathetic."

Annoyed, you threw the hospital pillow to the cat's snickering form.
"Shut up! I just think that-" You paused to carefully form your sentences, "-maybe he's more than meets the eye."

"Sure, sure, whatever you say, you masochist."

"Ugh, this is tiring. Remind me why I'm talking to a cat again?" Rubbing your temple, you chose to ignore Kuro's further comments as the both of you walked out of the building.

= = = = = =

"I'm home!" You mimicked the voice of a child in a happy household with loving parents awaiting their wonderful daughter returning home. In reality, the only response you received was a dead silence as you kicked the shoes off your feet. Kuro entered your house with a soft mewl. He had his third eye closed, wary of your family members.