Chapter 1

"Damola are you sure about this?" Damola's mum, Mrs. Nneoma Bayo, asked, her face etched with concern. It was the night before the day Damola would travel to Port Harcourt to stay with her aunt, Aunty Ndidiamaka for a month. Nneoma knew she would miss her daughter greatly but she had to send her daughter to her sister. The recent turn of events made her do anything her daughter wanted as long as it was good for her.

"Yes mummy I'm sure. A change of environment is what I need right now." Damola replied in a sleepy voice. She was already in a deep sleep before her mother woke her up.

"Okay. I just want you to be okay" And alive.

"I will be okay mummy. Goodnight and sleep well"

"Goodnight my dear" Nneoma switched off the light and stood at the door for a minute before walking out, saying a prayer in her heart for her daughter.

Arriving Port Harcourt, it looked and felt nothing like Lagos. The roads were not busy, people moved around freely, overall, it was calm and Damola was pleased with that. It was a welcome change from the type of life she was used to. This was not her first time in Port Harcourt but it was the first time she noticed how homely it felt.

The drive to her aunty's house was quiet. Her aunty's driver, Mike, was quiet, concentrating on the road. He didn't need to, this city was calm anyways. She stopped trying to keep track of the buildings that were now zooming past her and slept off.

Thirty minutes later, the car slowed down, entering a bumpy road. Damola stirred, opening her eyes. The street had not changed much since Damola's last visit. The street was still not busy and the buildings were still the same colour. The car soon stopped in front of a big black gate while Damola readied herself to get out of the car.

As the car drove in, Damola smiled to herself. Aunty Ndidiamaka had a way of being extravagant in a modest way and it showed in everything she did and owned.

The light blue coloured duplex stood at the center of the compound, its walls lined with flowers and trees: purple cordylines, hibiscus, crown of thorns, coconut trees, orange trees and bougainvillea. Damola knew them all because she loved flowers, especially bougainvilleas. The window sills were painted white and the balcony on the first floor that led to the common room, had white railings lined with bougainvilleas too. The ten year old building still looked new and beautiful. Stepping out of the car, a light breeze welcomed Damola and she made sure to breathe it in.

Chichi, Aunty Ndidiamaka's help came out of the house to help Damola carry her things inside. They embraced each other.

"Aunty Damola welcome"

"Thank you. Is Aunty inside?"

"Yes. She's in her room"

"Okay thank you."

Damola took her duffel and tote bag leaving her rolling luggage for Chichi. She didn't own much.

Aunty Ndidiamaka's house was Damola's second home and she had no trouble finding her way around. Walking through the bullet proof doors, the usual fruity scent of the house hit her. Already very tired, she didn't bother sitting on the cream coloured sofa in the traditionally furnished living room, ceramic objects at various points in the living room. She headed straight to her room.

Opening the door, she dropped her bags beside her bed and plopped down on the bed.

"Damola welcome"

Damola sat up quickly. "Aunty sorry. I wanted to come and greet you but I didn't want to do it while I was breathing heavily"

"I understand." Aunty Ndidiamaka still looking young for a woman in her early forties, walked towards the desk beside Damola's bed and sat on the chair that was pushed under it. Damola saw that the desk was a new addition to the room. After a moment of silence, "How are your parents?"

"They're fine. Daddy travelled yesterday and mummy is busy with her salon as always. I thought I would meet Nkem"

"She decided to go back early this time, something about having a headstart this academic session. She's a big girl, she can take care of herself just like you, traveling by yourself eh?"

Damola smiled, "Yes I'm a big girl"

"What do you want to eat? Don't tell me any of those light foods. In fact, I'm going to turn the garri myself."

"I'm hungry. I'll eat anything at this point"

"Thank God. Let me leave you to get ready then. I'll be attending a friend's birthday party this evening too so you'll be alone for a while. Is that okay with you?"

"Yes." Still sitting up, Damola watched her aunty leave the room and shut the door behind her before she got up to put her things in place.

Damola searched for her phone in her bag. When she found it, she dialed her mother's number.

"Mummy I'm in Aunty Ndidiamaka's house now"

"Okay my dear. Take care of yourself eh?"

"Yes mummy"

"Bye"

The call ended.

Damola decided to arrange her belongings while listening to music. Ed Sheeran's Galway Girl from his Divide album accompanied her as she worked.

Aunty Ndidiamaka and Damola's mum were very close as they were the only surviving children of their parents. She had lost her husband two years ago and Damola thought everything would be over considering how families treated widows. However, her husband, Uncle Ike, also known as Big Chief, left a will that favoured his family and their life turned around for the better. Aunty Ndidiamaka's tailoring business blossomed and Nkem, their only child, went only to the best schools never lacking the basic necessities of life.

Damola soon finished arranging her things and went into the bathroom to freshen up. When she was done, the smell of egusi soup got to her and her stomach rumbled. She quickly dressed up, plugged her phone to charge and practically ran down the stairs.

The kitchen was mordern unlike the living room. Marble was the main feature with black cupboards. The electric gas cooker was a new addition, but the island chairs still looked good after so many years. Damola pulled out one of the chairs and sat down.

"Aunty you've added a lot to the house since my last visit"

"The house has to maintain its class my dear"

Damola rolled her eyes, typical Aunty Ndidiamaka.

"How have you really been Damola?" Aunty Ndidiamaka asked still backing Damola as she turned of the gas under the soup pot. "I hope I'm allowed to ask?"

"Yes you are. I'm better now that I'm here. I needed a change. I'll just be watching myself from now"

"That's good" Aunty Ndidiamaka placed the tray of eba and soup in front on Damola. "You'll need food now more than ever. Your mum told me enough to know that you need plenty food"

Damola said nothing. Her aunt and mother shared the same belief that food solved everything. She washed her hands and started eating.

"Let me go and get ready for the birthday party I told you about"

"Okay. Safe journey." Damola said turning to her food. She never fully concentrated on her food before now. She was either listening to music, watching television or texting someone. All of that ended last month, the turning point of her life. Shaking her head, she willed herself to concentrate as she wasn't ready to dwell on it yet.

Still eating, she heard her aunt leave the house while Chichi came back later to watch television. She didn't waste time eating this time around. She got up, washed her plates and headed to her room to sleep.

As she lay on the bed, sleep wasn't forthcoming like most nights after the incident. After twisting and turning, trying to make herself comfortable, she gave up. Walking to the large window opposite her bed, she noticed Port Harcourt was beautiful at night. Minutes passed by and her aunt returned. Too tired to go and welcome her, she laid back on her bed and resorted to doing the only thing she knew would make her sleep instantly. It was her body, she knew what to touch. As her left hand found its way beneath her underwear, she stared at the moon and began the exercise. Moments later, her breathing rate quickened till she shuddered violently and collapsed on the bed.