Chapter 6

When her mum's car pulled into the school's parking lot, Damola sighted Taj arriving also in his driver's car with his mum in the front passenger's seat. She felt a bit sick in her stomach remembering the state of things between them but she had already decided to ignore everything till after the graduation.

Damola walked with her mum to the hall, which was the venue of the graduation. It was a fairly big hall, walls decorated with red and gold ribbons. The tables were covered with white fabric, five chairs surrounding each of them also decorated with red and gold ribbons. Everywhere was bustling with activity. The school's staffs were walking up and down putting things in place, parents and students were arriving, Damola could see performers in their performing attire moving about too. She didn't like doing things in school. She felt it was unnecessary and she would want to lead, not someone leading her and telling her what to do.

It was 8:50 am, ten more minutes before the ceremony began. Damola was still looking around when Taj and his mum made their way to where she was.

"Good morning Mrs. Bayo"

"Good morning my dear. How are you and the family?"

"We're all good thank God"

" That's wonderful. You'll seat here with us now no one is here apart from both of us"

" Of course that is why I even came here"

" I'm really happy for the children, their hardwork has finally paid off"

" Yes, yes it has. It is now off to the University for all of them"

" Yes oo Taj what will you study in the University? "

Damola who had been avoiding looking at his face, finally looked at him.

"Business Management ma"

"Oh that's the same thing Damola will study in the University. That's good, that's really good"

The mother's continued chatting away while Taj and Damola continued ignoring themselves until Michael, one of Taj's friend came to call him so they would present something they had been rehearsing for.

Damola's mum looked at Damola,"You aren't presenting anything today?"

"No" Damola replied with furrowed brows. Why would her mum expect her to stress herself?

The ceremony continued to the prize giving session. Damola got the prize for best in Economics while Taj was the best in English Language and Accounting.

The ceremony soon ended and everyone trooped outside to take pictures with friends they would probably not see for years to come.

Damola was only friends with Nike and Taj but was relatively nice to other people. She only took pictures with people she knew admired her, a few school teachers and the picture meant for the whole graduating class while her mum waited in the car.

After posing for a picture with one of her classmates she never really spoke with,she saw Taj approaching her and she felt her stomach churn.

"Damola"

Why didn't he call her DamDam? "Yes?"

" I need to speak with you"

Damola's stomach churned the more while her hands grew cold and started shaking. "Okay", she whispered.

Both of them walked to the garden beside the hall which was far from the busy crowd. Damola rested on the wall in preparation for whatever it was Taj was about to tell her.

"Damola"

"Why aren't you calling me DamDam?"

"Just listen to me. Damola, I've noticed that I can't keep up with you. You're too self absorbed. You care only about yourself. At first, I thought being affectionate towards you would break that wall or something but I can't take it anymore. I like someone who shows affection like I do. You didn't even want to kiss me the other day. Why?"

" You had just finished eating now. If you were planning on kissing me you shouldn't have decided to do it after eating crackers. I don't like the taste of crackers"

" Do you see what I'm talking about? It's all about you"

" You can't be kissing someone after eating certain stuff Tajamal"

Taj sighed, " I've thought about this and I decided to let you know that I can't continue being with you"

"All because I didn't want to kiss you?"

" It's not just that Damola. The other day when the teacher told you to sweep the class you said the cleaners were already being paid to do that"

" But it's their work"

Taj sighed even more deeply, "Oh Damola, that doesn't mean you shouldn't help them"

"When the school won't pay me? Please leave all this charity talk and tell me you've found a girl that has probably kissed you. All this talk is just rubbish"

" Well maybe I have"

Damola opened her eyes, feeling the anger she felt that same day but it soon subsided because, it was all her fault. She was actually proud.