Chapter 12

Damola was never a religious person, didn't exactly fancy church but her mum was a fanatic. However, Aunty Ndidiamaka was normal. She took church serious but didn't let religion override reasoning.

Luckily for Damola, Aunty Ndidiamaka's church didn't force people to tie their heads like most other churches. Damola didn't even have the patience for that.

Damola had always been aware of how people admired her but she wasn't sure anymore. She walked into the church auditorium with a tired gait thinking of her bed. For some reason, she woke up feeling tired.

The church's high ceiling, gold painted walls and gold decorations no longer wowed Damola. The interiors of the church looked as expensive as majority of its members. The gold coloured tiles finalised the extravagance.

Anytime Damola attended service here, it was like a competition for who the best dressed would be. Before, she partly participated in the competition but not today. Today, she wanted nothing more than her bed to sleep on.

The lead pastor soon climbed the podium to preach and Damola tuned out. She didn't come with a jotter and there was nothing else to do but to tune out. She was dozing off when there was a loud shout of "Amen!" from the congregation. She jerked up, a bit embarrassed, and decided to analyze other people's dress sense instead of sleeping. 

There were some interesting finds until she heard the pastor say,
"Forgive as Christ as forgiven you. Not only should you forgive others but also yourself "

That was a hard hit on the nail's head for Damola. In her opinion, most people didn't deserve forgiveness especially when they never apologized. Nike and Taj didn't deserve forgiveness.

"... When you don't forgive, you carry an unnecessary burden and kill yourself slowly. Look at this, in Romans 5:8, God loved us even while were yet sinners then He sent His Son, Jesus Christ to die for our sins. It was while we were still living in sin that His unconditional love began. We didn't do anything and we can't do anything to be loved by Him, He just loves us because He is God"

Damola was dumbstruck. No one had ever preached this way before or had she been oblivious?

"I pray today that God will help each and every one of us to forgive and love the way He does, in Jesus Christ's name, Amen"

Service was soon over and people trooped out to the car park to return home while some others just walked around greeting people. Damola, Chika and Chichi were already in the car.

"Chichi did you see that woman with the green gown and pink shoes?", Chika began

Chichi giggled, "Yes"

" Hmm why did she do that now?", Chichi still giggled. " Or is she trying to look young? Her make up was also looking funny maka gini"

They continued in Igbo and Damola, feeling disappointed that she could no longer join in, shifted her attention back to her life. Her father didn't want her learning any languages and she didn't even like them either but she made sure to know what 'kill' was in Igbo and Yoruba. She also knew greetings in both languages.

The words of the lead pastor still rang in her head. Forgive herself and forgive people that never apologized?

A very fine guy walked past the car and all of them in the car became silent for a split second before Chika began talking again in Igbo, probably about him.

Damola, unfazed, continued observing other people herself. No boy or guy piqued her interest anymore. They all looked the same now.

Dinner that night was full of fun conversation. Chika was a real entertainer. Luckily, she didn't speak in Igbo this time. Perhaps, she wanted Damola to join in, and Damola didn't hesitate.
"Damola did you see that guy?"

"Yes"

"He's really fine, right?"

"He probably is, but not to me"

Chika looked disappointed,"Okay"

Damola wasn't sorry. Beauty was in the eye of the beholder after all.

It was one of those nights and Damola kept twisting and turning. She didn't want to resort to the usual or even think about it so she cast her mind on something else.

Forgiveness was never a thing to dwell on for Damola. If someone did something she didn't like, she would ignore that person's existence forever and the person would know about it. It didn't feel like malice also because, the person didn't beg to be spoken to. However, as she thought more about it, she knew she was carrying an unnecessary burden. She really needed God's help but how? She was a sinner and she didn't think God would have the time for her.