Chapter 19

Saturday came along and Damola had just returned from her early morning run. She walked to her pot plant and watered it. It was a pity she wouldn't be able to take it home with her but she knew how to plant it now. She knew how to lay the foundation for a new life anywhere now. It was all in the mind.

She had her bath and walked downstairs for breakfast. Her bags were packed so there wasn't much to do anymore. Chika had gone home the previous day, her departure was more emotional than Damola thought it would be. The only person in the kitchen was now Chichi but Damola had learnt to cook so she helped set breakfast. Her flight was by 12:15 pm, there was time to eat enough.

Breakfast included bread, beverage, scrambled eggs and fried plantain, not the soft, soggy one. Damola's appetite had returned and this was pure bliss.

When the table was set for breakfast, Aunty Ndidiamaka came into the kitchen and Chichi left to attend to other things "Damola I'm happy you're going back refreshed. You look happy and fatter too. I like that. Your mum will be happy too. I hope you won't go home and stop eating again?"

" I won't"

" Good. Please eat well"

" Yes Dr Chef" Damola said laughing.

Aunty Ndidiamaka eyed her and ate her food.

It was an hour to twelve and Damola was ready to go. She took her pot plant to the side of the house where there was small space for it. It would thrive, bougainvilleas were resilient and it was what she liked about them.

She went to Chichi's room to say goodbye and talk a bit.

On the way to the airport, Damola thought of everything that had happened in four weeks. She had learnt to be grateful, be vulnerable, move on from what was no longer serving her, be happy with her company and nurture something, giving love to it.

Life was looking good and no matter the weather, she would grow through it and bloom at the end of the day.

THE END