Chapter 16

Damola sat, grinding her teeth with nothing in her mouth as the pastor preached. He had begun by asking if people practised what he had preached the previous Sunday. It was then Damola remembered her chat with Nike, not that she forgot for it was because of that she woke up with anger, but she was feeling the same way she felt before she slept.

Nike was really stupid. What did she mean by that pathetic paragraph?

The preacher's sermon ended with the preacher saying, "I pray that you let yourself forgive others and yourself, so you can be free from burden"

Damola closed her eyes tight and let out a deep sigh. Life was not supposed to be this hard

While the service continued before the benediction, Damola began thinking of the paragraph to send to Nike.

Nike what you did was very stupid and you should have done better. Why didn't you see through Taj even though I didn't see throught him..... No, that's bad

Nike, it's good you're aware of what you did. You betrayed me and continued doing so for months without even knowing how I felt in those months. Well, I felt horrible and you?..... No, that's bad too.

Damola became weary from all the thinking and eventually gave up.

The service ended and Damola and the girls were in the car with Aunty Ndidiamaka's driver waiting for her. Chika was tired so she was sleeping while Chichi, the quiet one, sat thinking or observing everyone like Damola.

Damola scanned the whole parking lot, looking for nothing but noticing everything until her eyes rested on a boy and girl playing. The boy looked like he was five years and the girl younger

They were both running round a car and came to a halt. The little girl then bent down to pick a flower she saw but the boy went behind her and pushed her down. Damola grew angry in the car where she was watching from and was about to come out when an older woman stepped in. The older woman had been watching, so she spanked the boy and dusted off dirt from the girl's body. The boy didn't cry. He just stood, watching. When the girl was convinced that she had gotten the dirt off her body, she smiled at the boy, lightly pushing him and just like that the play started all over again.

Damola stopped looking at them and it hit her, what she would tell Nike. She purposely left her phone at home so she had to wait to get home.