Chapter 3

Saturday, 21st January 2017 7:35pm

It was their first date. Tajamal's dad owned a hotel so it automatically became their venue. This wasn't Damola's first time in a relationship but it was her first time on a date. Her parents had travelled for the weekend thus making the timing perfect.

Damola wore a sleeveless short purple gown made  out of satin and on her feet were silver gladiator heels. Her hands were decorated with simple jewelry and she topped the whole look with a glittering silver purse. Her driver would take her to the hotel and Taj would meet her at the entrance.

The hotel had a modern finish; a mix of  polished hard wood and glass. Damola had been to many 5 star hotels but this was okay, she rated it a 4 out of 5 in her head.

The lobby was somewhat busy as it was the first month of the year and the excitement of a new year was still in the air. Christmas colours - green, red, silver - were still up but the 'Merry Christmas' labels were replaced with 'Happy New Year'. The staff was probably used to seeing Taj as they all went about their duties like 16 year olds weren't walking in their midst without guardians but Damola wasn't complaining, she felt good.

Taj led her to their table at the back of the hotel's restaurant, where the lights were dim. He sat down opposite her and a waiter approached them almost immediately as if he had been watching them, maybe he had.

"What would you like to order?"

Taj spoke first,"I'd like a plate of jollof rice, salad and chicken wings, then a glass of Chapman"

"I'll have what he's having"

The waiter finished taking our orders and left us.

"This place is very nice. I like it"

"Yeah since you said this would be your first time on a date, I figured I had to make it special."

Damola smiled feeling warm inside. She wasn't one to freely express emotions but Taj always seemed to know the right spot to hit. "How does it feel having a hotel as your second home?"

His face lit up, "It's very fun. I can swim any day. I get to meet new people. I get to try a lot of dishes, so much stuff"

"Really?"

"No Damola." Damola rolled her eyes. "The hotel isn't my home. It's an organization. I still pay for stuff and I have to obey rules and regulations"

"I would be annoyed if they didn't let me have my way"

"I know, you're stubborn." Damola stuck her tongue out at him. He chuckled. "DamDam If you want to swim here I can make it happen though"

She blushed again, another right spot. "Whatever"

The waiter appeared with their food and served them. He went back and returned with their drinks. At this point, many girls would become shy but not Damola, she learnt to use cutlery the right way at a young age becoming a pro at it. The food was tasty and had the amount of pepper Damola liked. As a Yoruba girl, pepper was her standard measurement for tasty food. Taj didn't turn red and this surprised her but she wasn't going to comment on it. As they ate, they made side comments about the people around them, trying not to laugh so they wouldn't choke

Damola was taking the last bite of her chicken when she saw Taj doing the same, going ahead to take a sip of his Chapman drink. When he was done, he stood up and came to sit beside her.