Chapter 1

POV: BRI

The bell rings indicating that it's the end of the school day.

I get up from my seat, grab my textbooks and leave the classroom to my locker. I grab my coat and bag and start walking towards the library. I look around to make sure nobody is watching and walk in.

The library is dark and empty. I walk to the back of the large room to the teen fiction section. I look at a few books and decide on a fantasy called, 'Daughter of War.'

***

"How was school?" My mom asks as I walk in the front door of our small house.

The air smells of my favourite scented candle, lavender.

"It was fine." I reply walking towards the stairs.

"The principal called today"

I spin around to face her. If somebody saw me stealing I'd be in so much trouble. "About what?" I ask.

"He said you were late this morning, again." She says with a scowl.

I sigh in relief. "Sorry, I guess I just haven't been getting much sleep lately."

"I already told you that if you want to read, get to bed earlier."

I nod and run up the stairs and to my bedroom.

I open my bedroom door and the lavender smell gets stronger. I guess my mom went to bath and body works and picked me up a candle.

Walking over to my large, white bookcase, I pull my white Jansport bag off of my shoulders and take 'Daughter of War' out. I admire the cover before opening it up and letting the book take control.