Black Butterflies

This is in no way related to Love Arrows AU

×-×-×-×

Lisa first learnt of her ability when she was really young, back when she last saw her biological father. It never occurred to her what it all had meant, only that the little girl in her found it to be both jarring and beautiful.

It was first a dozen black insects— which she later learnt in class to be butterflies. These dozen black butterflies had landed on her father's shoulder up to his head – but of course the young her never found anything peculiar about it. She has once pointed this out to both her parents, but the two adults merely thought Lisa was just imagining stuff – like how all adults normally treat children when the younger generation says something out of this world.

Then a dozen multiplied to three, and young Lisa started to grow worried.

"Pa, why do the butterflies love you?" Lisa had once asked her father.

The man merely chuckled and messed up her hair, "Hmmm, I guess I'm a flower to them." he answered, though a bit confused as to where her daughter picked up this question.

Then the butterflies had started to take up her father's whole body, and the man grew weak.

Lisa, of course, thought that it was all the butterflies fault – so she tried to nonchantly whisk the buggers off her father, but no matter how many times she'd do it – they'd still continue to flock and land to him.

Then her father grew ill, then bed ridden – and Lisa lost count of the hundreds of butterflies that lingered on her father. It was horrifying, to see her father covered with black fluttering wings— and when her father took his final last breath, all the butterflies disappeared.

It was then that Lisa realized, the black butterflies were attracted to the stench of death like they were to flowers.

×-×-×-×

Years had passed, yet the butterflies never disappeared – instead, it multiplied in numbers.

Lisa had come to learn that the black butterflies only come to those when they are near their death bed. The more butterflies that lands on you, the more likely that person is to dying.

But the black butterflies doesn't just choose human beings, they are not picky. Those who has the capacity to die, the butterflies will come and land. Like once, Lisa and her mother had adopted a cat— and like her father, black butterflies had landed on the animal like it did to him.

Lisa was horrified to say the least as she watched more butterflies flock around their cat – and a week later, their cat would be run over by a car.

None could see the black butterflies but her, and it was uncomfortable— she wished she didn't had this ability... The ability to see and predict death in front of your very eyes.

Lisa doesn't know if she could change the events or prevent it from happening – she had tried once, and the experience brought her a deep and gouging trauma that she no longer tried again. It was painful to see someone you've interacted with close to dying, but it was downright heart wrenching to not have the power to seemingly stop it.

Death was unexpected as it was inevitable – though it is more unexpected to those who don't have her eye, but Lisa can still see those black insects fluttering around the sky – almost enveloping the light with it's dark wings, and this brings a spike of fear to Lisa's heart sometimes.