5

TOM POV

How does someone find a person that doesn't want to be found? Someone they've already tried looking for. Well, when you have the money, it's kind of easy.

"You hired a private investigator?" Harrison's face is wide, mouth hung in shock.

"Yeah, what else was I supposed to do?" Tom shrugs, looking at his best friend.

"I don't know, respect her decision? Not find the kid you abandoned?" Harrisons voice is sharp, and it stabs at Tom's heart.

"I regret that!" Tom defends.

"Does Echo know?"

"Why should she?"

"Because she's your fucking girlfriend, mate!" Harrison yells.

Tom gets off the chair he was sitting on and stares down at Harrison, who's sitting in the chair across from him. "This isn't her decision. This isn't her child."

"But she should know, Tom!" Harrison stands up too, "She should know you're actively seeking out your ex fiancée. She deserves to know you have a child somewhere. How are you this inept?"

"I'm not seeking out Y/N!" Not only does his voice crack at her name, his heart drops too.

"Sure." Harrison grabs his coat from the back of the chair. "Come back to me when you've told Echo."

Tom watches his best friend leave his apartment, his chest rising and falling quickly. Once the door closes he grabs a pillow and throws it, knocking a glass vase to the floor in the process. "Fuck." He sigs, a single tear falling from his eye. As he cleans up the glass shards he pushes his feelings away, only cutting himself once. He washes his finger and puts a band aid on it before walking into the bedroom, the one Y/N used to sleep with him in. He drops to his knees and reaches under the bed, his hand touching a smooth cardboard shoe box.

"Y/N" is written on the top in bold, black letters. Tom slowly opens it, seeing his many pictures of her. Digging to the bottom he grabs a cold, gold ring.

He plays around with the small object in his hands, "So what if I miss you?"

***

Tom is sitting on the couch when Echo gets home. "I'll get dinner started in a minute, honey." Echo smiles, hanging up her coat.

"Actually," Tom takes a deep breath, "I wanted to talk to you first."

Mouthing "oh", Echo nods. "Well, I'm gonna use the bathroom first. Give me one minute."

"Okay yeah." Tom gives her a reassuring smile. With that, she walks down the hallway, out of sight. Tom goes over what he's going to say again. He closes his eyes and breathes, waiting for his girlfriend to return.

"Okay," Tom's eyes shoot open, Echo in the process of sitting down next to him, "what's up?"

The two angle to face each other, "I have a child somewhere."

Echo's eyes go wide before blinking a few times, "You what?"

"You know how I had a fiancée before you?" Tom asks.