part nine

"kookie! your best friend is here to help!" called a new voice, loudly, from downstairs. jungkook could hear the pitter-patters of little feet running around, young voices calling "yeonjunnie!" "junnie!", a loud gasp, "YOU BROUGHT SOOBINNIE TOO???"

("ah, minnie, you can't just jump on people like that!")

"hi, junnie," jungkook stood at the top of the stairs, looking weary. however, yeonjun, his best friend of six years, could see the telltale sparkle of happiness in his eyes, a little spark like a star, jungkook's eyes like a galaxy. "and soobinnie, gyu, taehyunnie, kai. hi to you guys too," the boy was a little more bashful now. soobin, beomgyu, taehyun, and hueningkai were yeonjun's soulmates. not one of the five was sixteen years old yet, but they were already certain. happy as jungkook was now, he remembered being sick with envy months ago. before the soulmate anxiety set in the boy had even felt malice towards the boys- why did they get to have everything he wanted before the universe even gave it to them, everything jungkook couldn't have, it was so unfai-

"kook," yeonjun said softly, having walked up to take his friend's hands. "let's go upstairs, hmm? i can ask the others to leave, i know it's overwhelming."

the older shook his head, "it's alright. come on."

he led the five up to his bedroom, and opened his closet doors. 

"ooh!" hueningkai, the youngest, jumped up from his recently-taken perch on jungkook's bed. "wait, kook, show us your... soulmate magic stuff! let me write something!" jungkook smiles.

"i'll pass, kai. don't want them to get confused or anything."

"well then tell us about them while jun picks your outfit, jungkook!" invites beomgyu. "do you know their gender?"

"funny story," said jungkook. "they're all he/him, um..."

the others quirked several eyebrows. "they're all?"

"there are six!" said the oldest, jumping up excitedly. "guys, there are six of them, and they're all older than me and they're so cool, and one of them is genderfluid and shit, what if he wears skirts? shit, what do they even look like? oh my god, yeonjun-"

taehyun takes it upon himself to pin the older down, sitting on his stomach. "dude, jungkook, babe. calm down, and tell us the details. you only have like, forty more minutes. talk to us."

"well, there's yoongi, and taehyung, and seokjin, he's the oldest, and namjoon, and jimin, and hoseok, and they're so cool! and they're really nice. i'm so excited, taehyunnie, and... it's so exciting!" the boy giggled.

"how about you show us how the writing thing works, and show us your mark!" said yeonjun indulgently, without turning around. 

"okay, okay," said the happy baby, "look, it's so cool."

soobin handed jungkook a pen from his desk. "here, kook."

'hi!'

...

'hi kookie!'

'hi, kook!'

'what's up, ggukie?'

'hi, kook! are you excited?'

"see," cooed jungkook, "this one's seokjin, and that's jimin, and the one who wrote ggukie is taehyung- his handwriting looks a lot like namjoon's, but tae's is just a little tiny bit messier- and this one is hoseok."

"woah," said hueningkai. "that's so cool!" even yeonjun turned around to watch as the ink faded. 

"how does that work, kook? where does it go?"

"i dunno... once you read it, the ink just disappears. isn't that cool?"

a few minutes later: "okay, kookie, how about this?" yeonjun held up a lavender sweater and black skinny jeans, with rips at the knees. "you can tuck the sweater in if you want. honestly, there's a lot to go on in your closet-"

"i know, junnie. thanks!"

"oh, and kookie, we brought you a gift," said soobin, blushing. 

"thanks!" said the oldest, accepting the bag before- "wait, victoria's- soobin, what is this?"

jungkook was all set to go, lavender sweater tucked into black jeans, olive green cap on messy dark hair, and, of course, a scandalous maroon red pair of lace panties. plus matching socks. 

"it's not gay if you wear socks," soobin had mumbled a few moments after jungkook walked out of the bathroom. the younger had cringed into taehyun's shoulder, "ewww, i'm so sorry, kai told me to!"

jungkook had laughed, and blushed (a lot) but in all honestly, he did like it, even the socks. they had lace on the top, only a little bit past his ankles... they looked really good coming out of his vans.

"where did you even get these?" he asked as yeonjun was pushing him out the door. "victoria's secret doesn't even sell socks, do they?"

"it doesn't even matter, kook. you have ten minutes and it's a fifteen minute walk from here, so. good luck."

one last hug and a pat on the ass and jungkook was out the door, ready to go face his destiny.

god, what a time to be alive.

okay first of all, i'm so sorry for such a late update! i'll try to update tomorrow, too, so that we can get to the end (!!) next weekend.

second, thank you guys for 500 reads! like, i know that doesn't mean 500 readers, but hey, that's amazing. and halfway to 1k. how??? it's a small number but totally unreal. thank you so much.

anyways, it was a crazy week. american peeps, the election?? was brutal?? i'm honestly so drained and i didn't even vote (because i'm not eighteen yet lol ugh). plus like school is kind of kicking my ass but really i'm just too lazy to write when i don't any school work so um yeAh haha.

don't forget to comment n vote!

almost 800 words, ta-da!

published november 8, 2020

i love you all!