30. Hard to Say Goodbye to Yesterday

How do I say goodbye to what we had?
The good times that made us laugh,
Outweigh the bad.
I thought we'd get to see forever.
But forever's gone away.
It's so hard to say goodbye to yesterday.
-Boy II Men

Never take life for granted.

Here today, gone tomorrow, and all that shit people say when you lose a loved one. Ginger wasn't trying to hear any of that noise. Craig was her boy. She was his chick. What they shared was special and she was glad the whole world wasn't in on it. She didn't need their sympathies.

Everyone loved Cra-C. Fact Iz had come a long way after just one album a year ago. It was like when they lost Pac or Biggie or something the way celebs were grieving over him. The funeral in his hometown of Springfield probably had more celebs there than it would ever see in a lifetime. None of them motherfuckers knew him or else they wouldn't have even been there. He would be alive and well if these many mofos truly cared about him.

Drug overdose. A mixture of pills and cocaine.

It was her fault. She knew he was going down a hole with the drugs but she pushed him away. He was in pain and needed her and yet she turned her back on him. He told her he loved her and she basically told him fuck off. How was she ever going to forgive herself?

"Hey ma." Icee walked up to her while she stood far as she could from the casket that lay in front of the church.

"Hey Ice."

"You sitting up front with us, okay?"

"No Ice, that's for fam...y-you..."

Icee grabbed her in a hug before she broke down. "Ma, you are family. Craig would want you right up there."

"Icee no, I-I don't deserve to be up t-there. It's...my fault."

"Shorty quit all that noise. I know my bro loved you. Come on up here," he said, taking her hand.

She wanted to sit in the back and go unnoticed. Now she was going to be in front and people were looking wondering why. They didn't know about her and Craig. "Ridin Wit My Chick" wasn't out so they did not know she worked with Facts. She had not been seen much in over a year.

Once up front, she refused to have her eyes look at that big white casket. She looked down at the floor.

"Yo Pops, this my girl Ginger Hollands. She is going to sit up here with us."

"Ooo, she fine!"

That made her smile.

"Hi, Mr. Curtis."

"Call me Craig Sr."

She was amazed that he looked like Craig when that was not his biological father. They were the same height and complexion. Icee was the darker version of them both. Craig Sr. also did not look that old, and he was nice looking.

"You must be that honey Craig always talked about."

"He talked about me?"

"Whenever he would open up and talk. He wrote that song about you, right? U Da Winner," Craig Sr. said. "Come on sit down next to me, I'll tell you all about it."

She sat beside Craig Sr., with Icee on the other side. Icee had Bonnie there, looking like a superstar on one hand and a grieving widow on the other in all black. She wore a fitted black dress, and a hat with a veil and kept crying into a handkerchief. Like that was her man.

The rest of the Facts were in the front row. She looked around and saw what looked like his mother on the end with an older man beside her, with his arm around her. His mother wasn't crying, she sat there catatonic looking while the man kept talking to her.