stop moving and let me braid your hair | cassnette

"Stop moving and let me braid your hair." With Cassette or Marijon

Marinette wakes to her girlfriend's stifled cries, barely even making a sound, her fingers twitching and furrowed eyebrows being the only other signs that she's having a nightmare

Cass is still, when she sleeps. She finds a comfortable position and closes her eyes, then proceeds to not move a muscle until she wakes.

When she dreams, her fingers will twitch, ever so slightly, and she whimpers, tiny little sounds in the back of her throat.

Marinette hates that David Cain trained her to be so still, so quiet, even when she is being assaulted by her own memories and trauma.

She reaches over and starts running her fingers through Cass' hair, fingers sorting through the short inky locks.

Slowly, the crease in Caass' eyebrows smooths itself out, and the tiny whimpers fade into nothing.

Then her brown eyes open, just as Marinette is beginning the first braid.

Cass sits up, the blankets pooling around her waist, exposing her scarred arms and Batgirl t-shirt. Marinette follows suit as her girlfriend moves, still trying to weave her dark hair, because the repetitive motion relaxes both of them (and Cass looks adorable with braids.)

"Mari." Cass' voice is like silvery moonlight, a smile pulling at her lips.

"Hey, Cass." She replies, pouting when the other girl wiggles on purpose, messing up the first braid, which was almost complete. "Now stop moving and let me braid your hair."

Cass laughs, a beautiful sound, before stilling as Marinette goes back to redo the braid with quick, practiced fingers.

She never stills completely, Marinette notices. There's always a twitch of a finger, a light tap of the foot, a flick of the wrist.

Cass likes being quiet, but that does not mean that she has to be a statue. David Cain wanted her to be a statue.

Cass is not a statue. She is a living, breathing being, full of life and joy and beautiful smiles, even as the darkness of her past claws at her.

Marinette's fingers tie off the last braid with a red hair tie, and Cass turns around, gesturing for her to rotate.

"My turn."

Light fingers start tugging gently at her hair, and she relaxes, closing her eyes with a soft, pleased sigh.

At some point, both of them must have fallen asleep, because they wake up again hours later, when golden sunlight streams in through the windows, limbs tangled around each other and hair tied into small braids.