1.1

Familiar Writings...

Cameron abruptly woke up to the loud ringing coming from her phone. She groaned, hitting what she thought was the snooze button, and going back to sleep. Forty-five minutes later, the girl woke up, looking at the time.

8:29 A.M.

"Ugh, I'm late!" Cameron got up and rushed her entire morning routine. Before leaving, she stared at the red plaid. Her brother's flannel was always a comfort to the brunette, and without a second thought, she put it on and left. Cameron was in her senior year of high school and she had her license to drive. The principal greeted her outside of the building with a scowl on his face.

"You're late, Miss Peters."

"I know, I'm sorry! It was an eventful morning." Cameron lied. The man only nodded, giving her a schedule, and walking away. The brunette followed him inside of the Los Felíz high school and felt the chaos of teenagers surround her.

She looked around, noticing the bobcat mascot printed on the wall. Cameron tried to get to her locker, but two girls were blocking her way.

"You can't just quit Dirty Candy Anna!"

"Oh, but I just did." One of the two girls walked away with a smirk plastered on their face, while the other just stomped away angrily. Cameron didn't want to ask any questions, she just wanted to get to her locker and go to class.

The brunette changed into her dance clothes and the teacher introduced her to the class. The music started blaring and Mrs. Grant told the class to just feel the music and improvise. Cameron relaxed her whole body and just felt her feet move to the beat.

"Now that we're all warmed up, let's get a partner and come up with some choreo. I want to see what you've got." The teacher announced. A girl approached Cameron with a wide smile.

"I saw your moves... you're good. I'm Ryleigh."

"I'm Cameron." The teen introduced herself at a quick speed.

"So, ever think about trying out for a spot in Dirty Candy?" The blonde girl asked.

"Dirty what?"

"Dirty Candy... we're Carrie's back up dancers and some of us sing!" Ryleigh further explained.

"Oh, I don't know... I mean I just got here." Cameron laughed.

"I'll tell Carrie about you... now, let's start this routine!"

~ Dance Class Ends ~

Cameron and Ryleigh both separated, going into their next period class. The teenager had math next and Cameron couldn't pay attention to save her life. She found just about everything distracting, including the air. Once that bell rang, the girl was the first student out of the room. When Cameron opened her locker, she felt a presence standing right next to her.

"Hi, you're new here right? I heard from one of my dancers that you're a pretty good one yourself. I'm Carrie by the way."

"Cameron, nice to meet you."

"One of my dancers quit this morning and I need a new one. I don't have time to audition a bunch of wannabes, so with that being said, welcome to Dirty Candy!" Cameron felt more relaxed and couldn't believe she was already a part of something.

"Cool. Here, let me give you my number." Carrie gave the girl her phone and she typed in her digits.

"I'll text when we have our first rehearsals. See you around." She walked off, leaving Cameron. This was the part of the day she feared most. Lunch. The brunette walked in staring at each table filled with different kinds of friend groups. She looked around one more time and was about to leave when she heard a girl shout,

"New girl... over here!" Cameron whipped her head in the general direction of the voice and slowly walked over to the table.

"Hi! I'm Flynn, you moved next door to..."

"Me... hi, I'm Julie." The teen smiled at the two and felt more at ease. She quickly sat down and introduced herself.

"Oh... Cameron, I'm Cameron, hey!" Julie smiled at her and continued to spark a conversation.

"So, is there any particular reason why your family moved here?"

"No... well, I mean, my parents used to live here with my brother years ago, but then he died, so they moved away... and now we're back." The two girls exchanged looks of sorrow. They couldn't believe Cameron was able to say all of that, without choking up.

"I'm so sorry..." Flynn began to say.

"No, don't be! I never even got to meet my brother. He died twenty-five years ago." While all of this was happening, Carrie got a phone call.

"Hey sweetie, I was gonna throw a party next week for my song Crooked Teeth hitting over one billion views on YouTube. I was wondering if you and Dirty Candy could come up with a dance to my song and perform it, in front of everybody." Carrie had a huge smile on her face.

"Of course. I'll get right on that!" She hung up the phone and marched into the cafeteria to go find Cameron. She saw her talking to Flynn and Julie. Before Julie could respond to what Cameron had just said, Carrie interrupted.

"CAM!" The three girls at the table all turned to face the voice.

"I'm sorry, I have to go," Cameron said, getting up.

"Yeah, we'll talk later! Especially since you live next door." The teenager smiled at that and left, following behind Carrie.

"Wait... what's up Carrie?" She turned around to stop and face Cameron.

"My dad wants Dirty Candy to perform one of his hit songs at this party he's throwing. It's to celebrate the fact that it hit over one billion views on YouTube. Think you could come up with a killer dance routine?" She handed Cameron the song on a piece of paper and the brunette smiled,

"Of cour- wait..." she paused, reading the title of the song. "Crooked Teeth?"