Chapter Twenty Three

I can't believe the news today Oh, I can't close my eyes and make it go away How long, how long must we sing this song? How long, how long? Tonight, we can be as one tonight...

                                                         --Paramore, Sunday Bloody Sunday

Chapter Twenty Three:

Jaden's Point Of View:

I surfed aimlessly through the channels on the TV. The doctor had said that I can go home tomorrow. I wanted to tell April but she seemed to be in a hurry to leave so I didn't want to take up her time. I couldn't believe that she's pregnant!-The prospect of me being a father was almost laughable. I didn't care if the baby was mine or not-I'll raise it as my own as long as I have April with me.

Emily came sauntering into the room with a disbelieving look on her face and sat down on the sofa, making herself comfortable. I stared at her, waiting for her to say something. Emily busted open a packet of bon-bon sweets and threw about two of them in her mouth.

'What's up with you?' I asked, catching the packet of pretzels she chucked at the bed.

'There's some woman in the children's ward screaming her head off and the nurses are trying to calm her down' Emily explained, popping another bon-bon in her mouth. 'It's mayhem up there, I'm surprised the building hasn't tumbled down yet...'

I sighed. 'Don't be like that, Em, Mom would've been like tearing the place down if it was you or me'

Emily shrugged. We watching the television in silence, It was a re-run of The Fresh Prince Of Bel Air, when Will takes Carlton to his hometown and Carlton ends up turning into a thug and doesn't want to return back home. Emily found the whole episode hilarious but I was too busy thinking about April and Taylor, Emily had earlier mentioned that Taylor hadn't come to school but she'd seen April in the morning delivering a present to a little girl. What if it was April up there going ballistic over Taylor?-No-April is an amazing mother, she'd never let anything happen to her son...right?

'Emily, we need to go up there' I blurted, as I slid over the edge of my bed and put on my robe and slippers.

'No way, I'm staying down here-catch some well needed shut-eye' Emily yawned, taking my place on the bed after kicking off her shoes and relaxing. I sighed and shook my head, sometimes she reminded me of Dad.

'Whatever' I muttered, opening the door. 'Just stay here, Okay?'

'Got it'

I took the lift to the children's ward, signing autographs for the screaming fans-How did they manage to get past security? I waved goodbye to them and waved through the nurses that were busily scurrying around followed by children pushing race cars and pretend push-chairs on the ground.

I instantly spotted April. She was sobbing quietly, as she clutched tightly onto a Ben 10 fleece blanket that she had pressed to her nose. The nurses watched her cautiously as they tried to get her attention. I sat in the empty seat next to her, Why isn't Blake here?

'April...' I whispered, ignoring the nurses watching me. 'Where's Taylor?'

'He's in the room...sleeping' April murmured. 'They had to pump his stomach, so he's going to be hungry when he wakes up'

I looked at her questioningly, wondering if he ate a crayon or something-thinking he was one of those Ben 10 aliens. 'Why?'

A tear streamed down April's cheek, she looked at me and smiled faintly. 'He consumed some pills' another tear escaped from her other eye, I wiped them both away. 'Why would he want to do that, Jaden?-He's never seen Blake...hurt me before-He couldn't have thought they were sweets because I made sure he knew what paracetamol was.'