The Meeting

~Chapter Three~

Alex sat in the Elven's living room starring at all the family pictures, taking no care to notice them in truth. He simply scanned a few and let a frustrated sigh escape him as he slumped back into the couch bouncing his leg. He clearly could not understand why he needed to be married with someone who most definitely did not appeal to him in the least. He wanted to smash things, protest from the top of his lungs how much he did not want this, but what good would it do?

His parents had threatened to take away all the money, and if he did not agree everything would be left to charity. He couldn't imagine someone using up the money that rightfully belonged to him; it enraged him to think they'd take it from him. Money is what gave him good friends, it was what gave him all those hot dates, great parties, expensive clothes and cars. But not a wife, money had turned him down on that part. To even think about marring Victoria made his stomach turn. She was plain and ordinary. How could his parents do this to him? He groaned inwardly and sat straight up leaning forward, resting his elbows on his knees.

"Will you please sit still." His mother hissed. He gave her a glare and sat back trying to keep his anger in check. He did not need his mom telling him what to do; he was twenty three years old for Christ sake!

Lastly, after what seemed like an eternity to Alex, the Elven's entered the living room along with Victoria. He scoffed and looked out the window instead. He could be out doing so much more than sitting here waiting to hear everything they had to say. Why couldn't they just have used protection so that she could have never been born? He thought.

"Bellen it's so good to see you." His mom greeted. Alex rolled his eyes and began to bounce his leg again feeling suddenly annoyed at the syrupy voice his mom was using.

"Alex, say hello." His father whispered. He looked up at him with no expression and then directed his gaze towards Victoria. There she stood in a pair of faded jeans rolled up to her shins with white shoes. She wore a simple blue shirt, the same glasses since kindergarten and a long braid passing her waist. He was overwhelmed to wrinkle his nose when he saw the shyness that reeked off of her. Alex detested shy girls, they were always hard to get laid with. He liked the dare devil's he dated that weren't afraid to be bold when it came time to do something daring. He felt his mom pinch his arm and he let out a small growl as he pulled free from her grip.

"Uh...Hi." He mumbled at Victoria and extended his hand.

"Hello Alexander." She replied. They shook hands and quickly pulled them apart both looking away from each other. He could tell she wasn't agreeing to this either, the disappointment was written all over her face. He smiled inwardly and felt suddenly a little better. Maybe Victoria would agree to let him have his affairs on the side. They took their seats and sat in silence for a moment, and then his father decided to speak.

"So the reason we are here is to make an agreement, an alliance between our families." His father began. They all nodded except Victoria and Alex. "Now son as we have told you before, this is for your own good."

Alex shifted in his seat and gripped the arm rest letting out all the anger he had on it. It was futile to try to protest, the decision had been made for him by threat.

"Jonathan what has been your final decision?" He asked.

"I have spoken to my daughter and we have both come to an agreement." He replied.

"Wait." Alex cut in. They turned to stare at him a little surprised by the harsh tone in his voice. "She got to decide if she wanted this?" he asked.

"Yes, son, she did." His mother replied.

"What, and I don't? I have to be forced to marry her?" he exclaimed rising from his seat.

"We have already discussed why you have no say in this, now sit down and be silent." His father growled. Alex flared his nostrils and balled his hands feeling the knot of cuss words wanting to escape his mouth. Forcefully, he managed to sit and glare at Victoria the entire time the meeting took hand. I will see to it that she does not get a single scrap of money, he thought.

***

Victoria felt a cold shiver consume her as she sat there trying to keep her eyes glued to her hands. She knew Alex was throwing darts at her, but she couldn't muster up the courage to throw him an apologetic look. Not that it would matter to him, she thought. She felt the meeting go on for hours. When lastly they finished, both parents decided to let them be acquainted and ask questions to one another.

They dismissed themselves to a late lunch in the dining room as Alex and Victoria simply looked away from one another. After what seemed like an eternity, he turned in anger to lash out at her.

"Why did you agree?" He asked, through gritted teeth. His anger was clearly shown but she still couldn't find the courage to look at him. Should she tell him that it was all because her mother could die if she didn't? No, I can't, I promised dad I wouldn't tell, she thought.

"Are you deaf?" He hissed.

Victoria flinched and took a deep breath trying to keep her hands from trembling. Finally, she lifted her head slowly to meet his piercing green-blue colored eyes.

"I have my reasons." She whispered, quickly looking away.

Alex stood and dug his hands into his pocket's glaring down at her; he wished deep down that she would regret it and change her mind.

"And they are?" He asked. He was determined to get to the bottom of it, Victoria was certain he was desperate to negotiate other means of making this turn in another direction.

"Please Alexander, with all due respect it is none of your concern." She whispered.

"The way I see it, in a few months it will become my business." He said, glaring at her. She pushed herself farther into the seat and clutched her hands tightly together feeling awkward by the nearness of him.

"Is there any amount of money that will make you change your mind?" He asked.

"Money is not everything." She replied.

"Don't be such a hypocrite, clearly it is the only reason you chose to marry me, otherwise what the hell do you want from me?" He snapped.

Victoria simply sighed and chose not to make their first conversation a fight over money. Rising from the couch she left him there and made her way upstairs feeling her feet grow heavy with every step. Trying to change Alex around and see a better view of the world without money was going to be difficult. The guy had been raised with it all his life, he had been given any desire he wanted. She slumped on her bed and quietly cried into her pillow, she hated the fact that it was him whom she was going to marry. But she did not feel regret to be saving her mother's life.

***

Alex watched as Victoria rose from the couch and quietly walked past him to the stairs without a word. He stared at her with a smirk on his face; it was good to know that she was not a back talker. He would have her under his thumb and do with her what he wanted. Most definitely Victoria would be too afraid to even think about screaming back at him. If she did, well that would just be the end of the world. He smirked and took his seat, she would be like a ghost, a clear see through ghost. What more could a guy ask for? He would be free to go and come as he please, having to feel no attachment to her whatsoever. Maybe this marriage proposal was not as bad as it seemed.