Car Trouble

Chapter Sixteen

Victoria found herself smiling more than ever, more than she ever had done in her entire life as Max and she talked about their time in High School. For only a moment did she look away to glance at the clock and jolted right up from her leaning position on the counter. The time was now nine o'clock.

"Is something wrong?" Max asked.

"My Goodness, time does fly when you're reminiscing about old times," she chuckled.

"I guess I should get going then, I'm sorry if I kept you from working," he replied.

"No it's alright, it was nice to catch up," she answered.

Max soon said his goodbyes and surprisingly leaned in and pecked Victoria's cheek before walking out. She stood frozen on the spot as she lifted her hand to touch the tingling cheek where he had kissed her. As soon as she saw his car pull out she walked to the back humming a lullaby to herself. Maybe this meant something, and she hoped deep down that it might.

Alex sat at the bar trying to down the remainder of his beer and finally set the tall brown bottle on the counter. He felt the slightest buzz beginning to build. Regret was still there, and guilt wasn't far as he threw a glance in the bartender's direction. He had been sitting here waiting for her to get off her shift.

"Want another?" Molly asked. He shook his head and rose off the stool pulling out a couple bills to pay the tab.

"What no tip?" she asked giggling. Alex gave her a sly smile and pulled out another bill handing it to her. She took hold of it and leaned in to whisper in his ear softly.

"I'm off in a few, how about that date?"

Alex thought about it for a moment and then pulled away from her giving her a thin lip smile.

"I'll think about it, for the time being I don't think I'm in any good condition to give you the time of your life." He lied. With that being said he walked out of the bar but suddenly was pulled back by a large hand grasping his shoulder.

"Hey pal," he heard the familiar voice say. Alex shrugged off his hold and turned to look at the tall bulky man standing before him. There was complete anger written all over the bikers face. Alex inwardly groaned to realize things were about to take a drastic turn for him.

"I thought I recognized your face," he spat pointing at Alex's chest.

"Don't touch me." Alex growled out while taking the guys and shoving it off his chest.

"No one treats my little girl like a one night stand and gets away with it, I've been looking for you, and as fate would have it, now I get to keep a promise." He said taking another step closer towards Alex.

"Your daughter should know better than to pick up guys like me."

"I think you should know better than to treat woman like a piece of meat," he hissed shoving him. Alex nearly lost his balance but quickly gained his posture as he took a few steps back.

"I warn you that my temper takes the best of me." He tried to reason.

"Too bad," the man replied.

"Hey, come on no fighting in here!" Molly called out.

"You and me outside now," the man growled taking Alex by the collar.

***

Victoria drove home feeling the happy butterfly's still floating in her stomach, making her grin wider and wider the more she thought of Max. She thought about maybe talking to Alex to find out more about him. She slowed her speed the moment Alex popped into her head and remembered she hadn't heard anything from him since he had dropped her off at the bakery. He hadn't bothered to call her or come into the shop. She furrowed her brow and pulled up into the garage and turned off her engine.

As fate would have it her phone suddenly buzzed displaying his name on the screen. She quickly answered, the giddy little tingles in her stomach going haywire.

"Alexander?" she asked.

"Vicky...I need your help," he replied. Something about his voice didn't seem right as she stood outside her home.

"Is everything alright?" Concern filled her as she gripped the handle to the front door.

"I need a ride home." He muttered.

"Where are you?" she asked feeling panic creep up on her.

"I'm nearing the bakery as we speak." He explained.

"What on earth are you doing there?" She asked.

"It's a long story; I'll explain everything when you get here." He said.

She hurried back to her car, worry and concern filled her as she slipped into her car and drove off. When she came to a stop her breaks screeched, she had to make a mental note to take her car to the shop. Otherwise they could be the death of her and she didn't want that happening.

When the bakery came into view she felt her throat shut. She only prayed that he was alright and nothing had happened to him. Memories and giddy little butterflies over her time spent with Max quickly vanished from her thoughts as she parked the car outside.

"What the hell have you done Alex?" She whispered.