Heart Break

~Chapter Thirty~

If anyone had stated that one day he would fall in love with Victoria Elven and believe himself the luckiest man on earth, Alex would have called them bluffers. Now as he forced his feet inside the Elven's home and saw with a broken heart Vicky's mother weeping in agony, he could not fight but cry as well. He slowly descended unto a seat and covered his face in grief, feeling the world around him stopover. He coveted to awaken, he wanted to blink and be somewhere else where the agony could not grasp him. However, reality crashed over him further as the officer quietly talked with Mr. Elven. Everything around Alex was shattering and shaking, slowly bubbling into anger and rejection at the truth.

"This has to be a mistake!" he suddenly snapped. The Officer and Mr. Elven turned a bit stunned at his outburst. Alex stood taking the officers arms in a tight grip while slightly shaking him in his desperation.

"Victoria can't be dead, she's not dead!" he exclaimed.

The officer closed his eyes, and reached out to tug Alex's grip off. "We are not certain if it's her, and I know this might be hard to ask...but we need someone to identify the body. She was badly damaged in the wreck, and the only way of identifying her now is the numeration of her plate." Officer Carter said.

Wiping the stream of tears from his face Alex nodded while looking over his shoulder to Victoria's parents. "I'll go." He forced himself to say. On the other hand, he feared to remember her lying in a silver medical table, forever gone. He shuttered as he looked back at Officer Carter, waiting for his word.

"I know this is hard son, but I'll make it quick." He replied, in a sympathetic tone. He did not reply simply nodded and followed after the officer towards the front door.

"I'm so sorry." Alex lastly muttered to The Elven's, before slipping past the door.

The drive to the morgue went in silence while the static of Officer Carter's radio buzzed in the background. Alex felt his head spinning in nausea as he looked out the window taking no notice of his surroundings.

They drove to the morgue, half the trip feeling like a complete daze to Alex, seeing that all he could do was cry as the car stopped. He sat there a long moment before he could finally find the strength to pull out of the car and make his way into the morgue.

"H-how did it happen?" he asked in a broken tone.

"Her car veered off the road as it was hit by another car, the people on that van lost their lives as well. The fire...the fire killed any possible chance of us identifying her by fingerprints or features." the office replied.

Alex gulped and shivered as the cold breeze of the morgue quickly enveloped him. Although he was wearing a sweater it almost felt as if he was completely naked as he stepped in to find a body lying on the morticians sliver table. A white cloth covered it, and Alex couldn't help but turn around and grip the long handle to the door.

"Take your time son," the police officer whispered patting his back. It took him nearly an eternity to gather his silent cries and turn around to see the mortician waiting for him next to the body.

"Whenever you are ready," his shriveled old voice said. There was no hint of sorrow or remorse on the mortician as Alex made his way towards the table. He somehow knew that this man was well past those emotions seeing them come from people all the time. He envied him for it; the pain he was feeling right at the moment was unbearable.

"These where taken off the body," the old man then said, handing Alex a small silver bowl. With shaky hands he took it and immediately dropped it as his eyes made contact with her squared black shattered glasses. His world stopped as he stumbled backwards starring at the way the glass on the frame was cracked and the ends of the glasses were dented from the fire, nearly melted away.

The mortician quickly walked to the other side of the table and picked up Victoria's glasses, her engagement ring and finally her ruby red tear drop earrings.

Alex found himself pressed up against a wall and slowly slid all the way down hiding his broken expression and tears into his hands.

"It's her...I gave her those earrings yesterday," he manage to choke out. His chest tightened and his body trembled as he cried in silence.

"Would you like to see the body?" the mortician asked. Alex looked up to meet his eyes in anger and rose off the floor.

"Didn't you hear me? I said it was her, how dare you ask me that!" he snapped.

Only a regard is what he gave her covered body, snatched the silver bowl off the man's hands, and stormed out of the morgue.

"Wait!" the mortician called after him. He was stopped half way by the officer, and his reply was to shove him out of the way. In a near split second Alex was pinned down to the floor and handcuffed. His eyes watered as he stared into the shattered black frame of her glasses, then he was pulled off the floor and placed into the back seat of the patrol car.

"I don't want to drive you to town, please calm yourself," the police officer said as he looked down at Alex.

"She's gone," Alex whispered as he leaned his head against the front seat.