Grateful

Chapter Twelve

Mrs. Jewels paced the living room, hands on her hips and a glare on her face; she stared down at her thick headed son wondering when exactly would he grow up.

"Alexander, please try to be reasonable," she said stopping just in front of him.

"I'm not interested." He argued, the far back if his mind protesting at his own words. He knew it was a lie, but he had to stick to the plan. A plan that Alex was beginning to slowly regret. He looked up at his mother; giving her a disgusted look, but it was all for show. Victoria and her family sat patiently in the dining room waiting for them to enter and have a dinner.

"Please don't ruin this dinner for me, have you ever stopped to think of that poor girls feelings?" she asked.

"I am not promising you anything," he replied rising from his seat. They entered the dining room and Alex had to fight to keep his gaze on the floor. Victoria sat next to him, her hands nicely placed over her lap and her gaze directed towards her mother. Alex slumped in next to her and let out a loud sigh as he scooted into the table. A quick prayer was said and soon everyone began to engage in conversation. Alex fiddled with the veggies on his plate and stole glances from the corner of his eye at her.

"Should we argue?" Victoria whispered.

"Want to get out of here?" he whispered back. She nodded just barely and he felt a smile break his serious expression. Reaching out for a piece of bread on the center of the table Alex pretended to accidently tip over the red wine all over Victoria's dress.

Laughter escaped him to see her shocked expression. She jumped from her chair her mouth parted in surprise as she hurried to dab at the large stain on her lap.

"If it's any consolation to you, it looks better now." Alex bluntly pointed out.

"Alexander!" His mother exclaimed.

"You did this on purpose," Victoria accused.

"I said I was sorry." He said rising from his chair. Without warning she took her mothers glass and emptied the wine on his own shirt. The red liquid splashed on his chest, soaking into the white material.

"Victoria!" both parents shouted. They all stood and Alex glared at her balling his hands into fists.

"Do you have any idea how expensive this is?" He yelled.

"It's not as important as this dress, my grandfather bought me this," she replied crossing her arms.

"How do you expect me to marry this snot!" Alex exclaimed pushing past the door.

"Alexander come back here and apologize to Victoria." His father called out.

"Please, Mr. Jewels, don't bother yourself, men like your son have absolutely no heart." Victoria said walking out of the room as well.

Alex darted for his car while catching a glimpse of her running up the stairs to her own room. Sliding in he automatically heard the ring of his phone. He ignored his mothers call and reversed his car out of the drive way. Soon after his phone run once again and he answered to see that it was Vicky.

"Did you see my mom's face, it was priceless," Alex laughed.

"I've never done anything like this before, I hope my parents aren't too upset." She said, her voice a little out of breath.

"They'll forgive you, plus your dad is very understanding."

"Well we have six months to turn this around and make you look like a changed man. For now things will have to remain like this." Victoria sighed.