Something's Off

~Chapter Twenty Five~

The wedding planner sat across Victoria with a grand smile. Today they were to set up the sitting arrangements, and decide on what napkin cloth's they were to use. Mrs. Jewels sat next to her, running her fingers over the display of napkins in front of them. A variety of colors lay before them, from, red, white, marine, teal, burgundy, and cream.

"What do you think?" Mrs. Jewels asked Victoria. She leant forward eyeing each color and finally her eyes landed on the marine. She felt a smile grow as Alex's penetrating eyes invaded her memory and she reached forward and picked it up.

"This is wonderful! Great pick," the wedding planner squeaked.

"I agree as well, I think royal blue is a very romantic color aside from red." Mrs. Jewels added.

"Now about the sitting arrangements, we need to spread the entire family, we want folks of her mingling with Alexander's family as well. We mustn't keep each family apart."

"I deeply agree with you Betty, I think sitting both families together is a great idea don't you think Victoria?" Mrs. Jewels asked.

She nodded and smiled, to have both there families getting to know each other sounded like a great idea. Wait! What are you thinking, there isn't going to be a wedding! She thought. A frown overtook her features and she pushed the emotion away and tried listening to their conversation take place. She didn't care what color of napkin they chose or how the sitting arrangements would turn out.

Her phone buzzed and she excused herself to answer it. "Vicky, are they still talking?" Alex asked from the other line.

She smiled and rested her back against the brick wall of the outside and smiled. Alexander was back in the shop baking cakes like a maniac while she sat in the center of two elderly women having a chitchat about the wedding plans.

"There still at it, but I think I might call it quits and head back soon," she sighed.

"Would you? It's getting kind of lonely over here," he chuckled.

"Has there been anyone to come in about the job?"

"No one, but don't lose hope someone will come along eventually."

"Let's hope, I don't want you having night terrors about the bakery later on," she laughed.

She heard a muffled voice come from the other line as well and froze, it belonged to a woman. What could a woman possibly be doing at the bakery?

"Is there someone there with you?" she asked feeling her skin prickle from the sudden disturbing emotion creeping up her spine.

"Yeah...,"

"Hello?" she said. The line went dead and her heart sunk. Now she didn't feel like going back. As she entered the house, she forced a smile on both women and took her seat. This is going to go on for hours, she thought.

When finally they had decided all the sitting arrangements she was almost ready to burst with frustration from so many names and family members.

"We'll have another meeting in a week for your dress fitting," Mrs. Jewels said as she kissed Victoria good bye. She nodded and turned on one heel heading for her car, she didn't know what to expect when she arrived at the shop but she hoped that no one would be there waiting for her but Alex. She pulled her phone out of her purse and saw about five missed calls from him and quickly punched down on his number.

"Vicky?" he quickly answered.

"I'm on my way, sorry I didn't get to leave, they had me choosing sitting arrangements."

"I...uh...I kind of closed up shop, I tried calling you after the line went dead but you didn't pick up. Something came up and I had to run but don't worry we are caught up in orders for the day." He quickly said.

"Oh," was all she could reply. A giggle came from his side of the line and she felt a pang in the center of her chest. Alexander was out with another girl, and had decided to close up shop early to go and have fun. She couldn't blame him; after all he had been spending so much time with her that he hardly had any time for himself at all. She tried settling the knots in her stomach and smiled instead. He deserved to go out and have fun; he was free to do what he wanted after all it wasn't like they really liked each other

"Alright, I'll see you tomorrow then," she cheerfully replied. On the inside she couldn't deny the horrible painful emotion welling up inside her but she chose to ignore it.

"Be safe," was the last thing he said before he hung up.