Chapter 1

I discovered shifting in September through social media. I assumed at first , it was a hoax to trick the media but after weeks of researching the topic , my assumption was proved wrong. At least what I hoped.

I had always loved the wizarding world of Harry Potter. All I did in my spare time was rant on and on to my friends about it , and quite frankly , I didn't care if I bored them.

I had gone through past phases of obsessing over certain things , but this phase wasn't just a phase. I felt emotionally connected to the book series, and it physically pained me knowing it was just fiction.

My best friend Sarah had called me "over dramatic" many times but she just didn't understand.

I hated waking up everyday to walk across the hallway and see my younger sister's plastic wands hanging on her wall , or my Draco Malfoy posters that hung on my door because it reminded me that none of that was real here. There was no magic or Hogwarts or anything in that sort , it was all fiction. And that's what hurt.

I spent every day after school rereading the books and spent all night rewatching the movies. I would truly do anything and everything to experience life in that world but that could never happen , because all that was just fiction.

Or so I thought.

Talk of "reality shifting" had spread throughout social media and when I first heard of it , I brushed it off thinking it was a media hoax , but over time curiosity began to fill me.

I questioned the idea, making it hard to believe it was possible to 'shift' to fictional places like Hogwarts.

After becoming more interested in it , I spent my days after school researching the topic rather than doing my homework and I became more convinced the subject could possibly be true.

As I grew even more interested I attempted to shift , but it never worked. I tried and tried but it didn't work. I would close my eyes repeating affirmations but yet would wake up in my bedroom.

Once I learned what group shifting was I instantly began to grow motivated again comprehending the fact of Sarah and I shifting together but the thoughts washed away when I remembered Sarah had no interest whatsoever in Harry Potter.

I begged for her to shift with me and over time my begging worked out. After a month of watching all the movies with her and convincing her to read the first three books she started to like Harry Potter as well.

Originally we were supposed to shift into a "tvd mixed with Harry Potter world" due to Sarah's crush on the tvd cast , wanting to script them in , but over time the thought faded as she grew away from her Damon Salvatore obsession and over to a new , better obsession. Harry Potter of course.

We tried group shifting and it didn't work but we both knew it wouldn't work on our first attempt , so we tried again but it didn't work. So then we tried again , and then tried again , and then again , and we tried for months but it didn't work.

Why couldn't I shift? I was doing what I was supposed to do. I followed every instruction correctly. I was doing everything right but why wasn't it working?

Negative thoughts filled my mind every time I would wakeup from an unsuccessful attempt. Thoughts of quitting or giving up were common and sometimes debating if I had just fallen for a hoax like I thought in the beginning were also considered but I always shook them away.

I would never give up no matter how long it took. I wanted more than anything to be there , more than anything to not be here.

Shifting was my motivation to wakeup everyday. It gave me something to live for.

I hated everything about my life here. I wasn't happy. Waking up was dreadful and my days were the same. Long and boring.

But shifting never failed to distract me from feeling that way. It was my motivation to keep going. It was my motivation to finish each day knowing by the end of the day , I could try shifting.

Just like any other average night I lay in bed with my script under my pillow. I ached to itch my lower leg but couldn't knowing if I did I would mess up the shifting process.

Mixed emotions filled my mind. I wanted to shift so badly. I wanted more than anything to be there.

I hummed "Home" by Edward Sharpe in my head , remembering the song Sarah had played while we worked on our scripts. She said it reminded her of Hogwarts , and she wasn't wrong because it reminded me of Hogwarts too.

I closed my eyes , still imaging Hogwarts. I started to count as I felt myself getting more tired. I begged myself to not fall asleep again , not wanting to mess things up.

I finished counting , and remembered exactly what to do. After all , this was a daily thing. I began to repeat affirmations.

Before I could finish , I didn't remember what happened next rather then dozing off , falling asleep still imaging Hogwarts.