Chapter 5

It's been a month. Tsukishima and I have not talked yet. Not since I was at his house. We didn't even exchange words after I gave him his clothes at school. I didn't want to initiate any sort of conversation with him because I was too embarrassed after what happened, and I assume he felt the same way.

So for the past month, even when our teacher asked us to work on our projects, we sat in silence.

"Okay, everyone please gather around me so you all can listen carefully." Our instructor calls.

Since the results of everyone's test scores came back, and they were the highest they've been in the last 4 years, the teachers decided to give us a 'fun friday'. They took us out, by bus, to a forest-y type place that's not too far from the school. Apparently, we're having a scavenger hunt in place of our lessons.

"We will partner you all up, and you and your partner will have to find all the items on the list. You have 2 hours, or until you hear the whistle being blown okay? Please only take one of the items when you find it so the other team members can also grab one. Don't go too far, none of the items are too far away. If you get lost, just yell out so we can find you." The instructor goes on.

I wonder who my partner will be. Hopefully it's a girl from my class so it won't be too awkward. The instructor goes around, passing notecards with numbers written on them.

"Find the person with the same number as you, the list of items you need to find are on the back." She mumbles to each person as she hands them the card.

Number 11

Mine reads. Countless people come up to me, checking to see if their number is the same. I walk up to Yamaguchi, who's standing next to Tsukishima, but taking glances at people's numbers as they walk by.

"What's your number Yamaguchi-Kun?" I smile and he returns it.

"24, yours? I'm too nervous to go around looking for my partner." He chuckles shyly.

"Aw, I'm 11." I pout. "And yeah, it's a little awkward." I laugh.

"Oh! Tsukki is 11 too. At least your partner is someone you know." He grins. My eyes widen and I look over at Tsukishima. He flips his card so I can see, and sure enough it's number 11.

"Do you think they'll let me switch?" I grab Yamaguchi's shoulders, my face frantic.

"There's no switching!" I hear the instructor call from behind me. I slump my shoulders, letting my hands fall back to my sides again.

"Oi, Gaijin. As long as you don't talk to me, and stay very far away- so far away where I don't have to see your ugly face- we'll be fine." Tsukishima says, but I don't even look in his direction.

"S-Sorry Sumi-San." Yamaguchi bites his lip and then awkwardly walks off.

"Let's hurry up and get this done so we can stop being around each other. I'm so pissed off. Just follow me, I'll find everything since you're too stupid to process simple things." He storms away, and I follow reluctantly behind him.

We walk around for like 10 minutes, weaving through the trees and stray branches. Being in this type of place kind of scares me. I'm not sure why the school thought this was safe to do...

"Are you sure we're not going too far?" I call out to Tsukishima, who's about 10 steps in front of me.

"Shut up Gaijin." He says back, making me frown. I look up at the sky. Dark clouds hang in the air, and the sun is no where to be seen.

I was lucky enough that today they didn't make us where our uniforms, so I was able to dress warmly, though I didn't expect rain to come. Hopefully it won't start until later.