Chapter 7

Chapter 7

Apparently, Jae was not alone in the building. Someone else had broken in and probably was the cause that started everything. Because, if that someone was another victim just like Jaejoong, why was the lock crashed and the gate forced open? Why would anyone try to enter that place in the middle of the night? Maybe they had seen the fire; noticed the smoke form the window of their living room as they were watching some television before falling asleep. Then again, first thing to do would be calling the Fire Department, not going in begging the flames to just vanish. So, there was something more… something not so above suspicion. What could that possibly be? Money? There could be none in there. All of the hyungs were smart enough not to hide any amount of cash, or items of great value in such an old studio, target of every kind of danger. Therefore, why would someone do such a thing and even endanger the life of an innocent soul? Alright, for your own cracked reasons, you run off to some random construction and set fire to it; are you that crazy? Maybe. But you might also love fire and things burning up. You might get excited with the smoke and the smell… the heat, the burn, turning your most secret and forbidden desires on. Fine by everyone… but what happens when someone whom you’ve never met, someone who has nothing to do with your disturbing thoughts and hatred, gets involved and out of the blue occurs to be locked in that very building? What happens when that victim gets surrounded by flames and eventually is turned into nothing but dust? Black, lifeless, eerie powder spread around you, giving you the creepy feeling that this; that sand as you may call it was once a human like your-self; a walking, breathing person with feelings of love, happiness, pain…
 No…
NO!
He couldn’t even think of his Joongie like that. He was alive… Jae was alive. Yunho had to believe that even when the odds were against him…even when the world itself was against him.

Yunho wiped the tears off his eyes with the back of his palm and remained as confident and calm as he could be at such a crisis, for this was a real crisis. Nothing like Micky’s when one of his shirts’ getting all dirty because Xiah was careless enough to spill some ramen on it, or Max’s kind of crisis when he’s being hugged by Xiah for far too long…
This time, Jae’s life was on the line and if no one had the guts needed to do anything… anything, then Yun would take the responsibility needed all by himself.

A pro about this situation was that the place was familiar to him.
He knew this residence too well, to be frank. All five of them had spent many hours filming interviews and short videos for their millions of fans and for the sake of the producers and the company. So, it was only natural, during those times, for them to stroll around; discover the rooms, the doors and where they were leading; play cruel pranks to the stuff or just to each other. From all the hiding and chasing, the boys knew exactly where anything and everything was. Even the emergency staircase from the rooftop to the back door was known to Yunho; especially when he wanted to stand up there, on the edge and just look around. Do nothing but simply pull his hands inside his pockets, close his eyes and watch; watch the world right from the top of it. The cool breeze would wipe his face and the refreshing air would clear his mind and his thoughts. All the stress and the responsibilities of him being the leader would lessen. But Jae was always getting really impatient and he’d call out for Yunho to come down because everyone was leaving and he didn’t want them to stay behind. Even now he could see that cheerful smile upon that white like porcelain face of his; he could hear the sweet voice calling his name; he could even hear his laughter as Yunho was climbing down the stairs and running after him, trying to catch him and push him against the wall… kissing those soft lips… feeling the warmth of his breath crashing on his neck… His touch… his whispering words….
  The young man smiled a little at those memories as they flashed in front of his teary eyes. No need to worry too much. They were going to get back together in any minute… then everything would return to normal and Yunho would make sure that Jae would stay in his arms for the rest of the night. All he had to do was to keep the faith and keep on walking with the head straight up. With his mind focused and his heart strong like a rock.
  At last… the back door was right in front of him. Since there was an intruder, getting inside from the main entrance was way too risky. Probably if he wasn’t gone, he’d be ready for anything. And even if he was gone, the chances of the door being barricaded were too high. So, his only and safer way in was from that very door. Yunho reached out for the doorknob but quickly pulled it back, letting out a cry of pain.
“FUCK!” he swore and scoffed as he took a look around.
The heat had already taken over the inside so the handle was burning like fire. He could try to break the door down but Yun had to know what was going inside. How in the name of God was he going to achieve that?
Thankfully, there were two large windows next to the white aluminum door. Two windows, each divided to four smaller, the glass seemed to be at first sight quite clean. The young man tried to gaze upon it but everything was way too blurry from the smoke. Yunho took a deep breath to fill his body with self-assurance and to take out all of the anxiety and the worry that had conquered his entire being. He stretched his neck by tilted his head to the sides and cracked his knuckles as he moved his body back and forth before hoping to grab himself from the ledge. It was a little high but he managed to do so in one try. Years of training in the gym helped him to keep his body in mid-air for more than a few seconds without feeling any pressure. It was a little difficult but the adrenaline easily muted the pain. His one arm was rested upon the ledge and the other on top of it to lift his torso further upward. This way the boy was able to peek with no trouble and maybe understand more of what was happening inside.
 Again… no luck. There was no darkness but a lit orange-ish and reddish light, mutual to the bright sunset of the East on summer. The soft, pale color of the sun, mixed with the gloominess of the once night sky, creating a beautiful yet somehow nostalgic atmosphere. Only this time, that atmosphere differed by far. Yun brought his legs back on the ground with one last hop and as soon as he took a step towards the door, a loud thumb and a blowing noise forced him to fall down and cover his head as a great amount of heat nearly caressed his head. His heart was beating like crazy as he straightened his body, still knelt down, and looked behind. The windows were both smashed and flames were slightly tasting the outside world.  He was lucky… way too lucky because if he hadn’t ducked now he’d be roasted.