chapter one

{4.1K words}

<Y/N's pov>

Work was slow, per the norm. The few patrons we did have were our usuals, coming in for morning coffee and enjoying company, some even sitting down and doing a little writing on their laptops. Peeking over their shoulders, reading some of the work, it was actually very good. Just the usual early Saturday morning shift to start off my day. I didn't have much of a breakfast, and my grandma liked to scold me for cooking so early in the morning, so I made myself a protein shake. After the loud machine was finished, my eyes widened at the sweet tasting drink going down my throat. It was the right blend of sweet, tangy and coolness. I took a few more long sips, silently complimenting the maker, in my head. My boss was off in the back doing some things on the computer, the rest of our early morning staff, cleaning up inside and outside the store. Leaving little old me to run the front counter by myself. 

"Coconut, pineapple, mango passion fruit and a little itty bitty bit of protein powder goes quite a long way." I thought, smiling. 

Noticing how slowly the morning was going by, I went to our crew room and sat down in a seat beside the window, the sun beating directly onto my skin. I turned my hand over a few times feeling the warmth on my chocolate colored flesh. The toasty rays fell onto my hand, illuminating the tiny follicles on my wrist and forearm. I played around the thought in my head at how far sunlight has traveled to reach and warm us up. Us humans are lucky.

 My mouth felt cold and I looked down at my drink, realizing I drank more than a quarter of it. The beverage filling up my empty stomach. As I zoned out, I heard the bell on our door jingle and went back to my place at the counter. A small group were standing in front of the counter, staring at our menu. There were two blonds, a redhead, a noirette and one with pink hair and horns. They were all quite attractive but my eyes locked with a pair of red ones. They all looked like models in a magazine or something, their energy just radiated it. The eyes belonged to one of the blond men, he was wearing a large grey champion sweater with a white shirt underneath, blue ripped jeans and white Nike sneakers. 

Wow.

"Welcome to The Grind House. What can I get started for you guys?" I spoke, my eyes on the register as I tried to focus on my job.

"Can I get a grande pink drink please?" The boy with the blond hair and the black lightning bolt, asked while pulling off his headphones. 

"Can I get one of those too?" The pink hair girl asked, her high pitched voice was endearing. The one with the headphones remarking about her copying him, the two arguing over who had been drinking coffee the longest.

"I just want a parfait and a water, please." The male with black hair spoke, he had a slight accent which made my hands softly tremble as I put his order into the computer. Damn, he was way too fine for his own good. The other members in their group were softly talking among themselves, but I noticed the one with red eyes, kept staring at me. 

"Um, I'm kinda new to this coffee stuff. What do you recommend?" The redhead asked stepping up, the first thing I noticed about him was his sharp teeth and large chest. I was about to faint, he looked way too good. 

"Okay, how about this? I'll surprise you with a special drink. If you don't like it, I'll comp everything." I inquired, putting my hand out. He quizzically looked at me for a second, his friends cheering him on and laughing. 

"Deal." His hand met mine and we shook, as soon as his fingers touched mine, my knees practically buckled. His grip was so tight and the veins were bulging from his skin. He smelled so good and his large hand was so warm in mine. Usually, I would be ashamed in myself for flirting with a customer so shamelessly, but damn. The one with the red eyes, pushed him back and yelled into my face, "How come you didn't take my order dumbass?!"