Chapter 24

A/N: "In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: It goes on." -Robert Frost

~Grace xx

---------------------------------------------------------------------

                                                ***Elena’s P.O.V.***

 I woke up with my hair matted across my face, tangled beyond belief. My face was covered with dry tears, and I was still wearing my clothes from the day before. I was a mess.

 I hadn’t gotten out of bed since yesterday, except to go to the bathroom, Honestly, I couldn’t find the energy to go out and do something.

But I can’t let this ruin my life; That’s way too melodramatic. So, I decided that I’d go for a quick swim, and then go shopping. Hopefully, it would take my mind off of... certain people.

After undressing, I attempted to brush my hair, but finally gave up and pulled it into a messy ponytail; It wouldn’t really matter when I was in the water anyway.

Clad in my swimsuit, with a loose t shirt and jean shorts on top, I walked over the the window of my room, and gripped onto the curtains tightly. Pulling it open widely, a wave on sunlight bathed my skin. Breathing in deeply, I closed my eyes, enjoying the warmth.

I opened my eyes again, and a paper taped to the outside of my window caught my attention. Through the glass, I read the thick blue ink.

‘Meet us on the beach at 7:00 ~Your Boys’.

The note made my breath hitch in my throat. Should I do it? Should I meet them?

 Deciding that I would figure that out later, I quickly left my room, making my way to the pool. No one was there, surprisingly, and I slipped silently into the cool, refreshing water, after taking off my clothing.

 As I zoomed sleekly through the clear liquid, feeling it rush against my face, it only brought back memories of the night I saved Zayn.

 The image of his emotionless face as he sunk into the depths of the dark lake made breathing pattern become irregular. I thought about what would’ve happened had I not been there. If I was even a moment late, Zayn could have been gone.

 Unable to breath underwater any longer, I launched my head up out of the water, gasping to regain my breath. I leaned against the side of the pool for support.

 I had to go see the boys. I had to at least give them a chance. They would do it for me.

 :~:~:

 My knees shook as I took short strides toward the beach, not looking forward to whatever was coming.

 Despite having my mind set on doing something productive, I had spent most of the day in my room sulking, and debating whether or not it was a good idea to give them a chance. My mind was screaming for me to walk back to my hotel room, go to bed early, and forget about all of this, but I just couldn’t. I knew I had to do this, no matter how hard seeing them would be.

 The rocks covering the beach crunched under my Converse, as I made my way towards my destination. There was no doubt in my mind about where the boys would be on this long stretch of beach.

 I neared the place where I had saved Zayn’s life, and in the distance I saw five figures standing close to each other, although it was hard to see their faces, because it was already getting dark outside. However, I knew exactly who they were.

 My pace slowed to a sluggish walk, for I feared reaching them. I could tell that they saw me coming, but I ignored their stares.

 Soon, much too soon for my taste, I was standing in front of them, only about ten feet separating us. My heart clenched at the sight of the five boys who had become my best friends, only to spoil it with a rotten lie.

 “You came.” Zayn said quietly after a moment, almost too quietly to hear, staring at me in disbelief.

 “I did. What do you want?” I replied snarkily, unable to control the sharpness in my tone. It was hard, pretending to be mad, but letting them see how vulnerable I was, was not an option.

 “We want to say we’re sorry,” Harry spoke up, and I rolled my eyes.

 “Okay,” I stated in a bored voice, “Is that all?”

 “No, that’s not all,” Louis said, taking a step towards me. I fought the urge to take a step back.

 “We really are truly, truly sorry. It was never our intention to hurt you-”

 I cut Niall off, “Then why did you do it?”

 There was a short pause before Zayn spoke up, his voice cracking, and tears in his eyes.

 “Because we didn’t want you to think of us differently. We wanted you to see us as five regular guys, not a worldwide known boy band. Spending time with you was one of the only times since we became famous that a person just treated us like a stranger they met on the street. It was amazing. We know we should have told you, and we regret not telling you sooner, but we didn’t want your opinion of us to change. If we knew that this would happen, we would have told you the first day. But we didn’t want to lose you then, and we don’t want to now...” After a pause, he added, but more silently, “I don’t want to lose you.”

 I didn’t know what to say. My heart yearned to just jump into their arms, and except their sorry’s, but my stubborn mind wouldn’t let my feet take even a small step.

 “Please forgive us,” Harry added, “We’ll do anything.”

 In that moment, I thought back to the first day when I saw them. When I jumped into the water to save a boy I didn’t know, when I let him stay in my room for the night, when I showed five foreign boys around the city I called home, even singing in front of them.

 They were being themselves. They hadn’t had that opportunity in a long time, they were always acting like the pop icons the world knew them as. No one realized that they were just five regular guys sometimes, not superstars.

 I understood why they did it. I got that they wanted to relish in the ability to be simply teenagers for a bit.

 I also understood that they didn’t mean to lie, they just wanted to hold onto their childish sides, where they didn’t have a reputation to uphold.

 They didn’t do it to hurt me. And by the looks of it, it hurt them just as much.

 So, with all of that in mind, plus the sinking feeling I got in my chest at the thought of losing any one of them, especially Zayn, I spoke.

 “Anything?”

 “Anything.” Louis stated, a tiny glimmer of hope in his saddened eyes.

 “Tell me everything. Why you’re here, who you really are, everything. Answer the huge pile of questions I’ve built up since meeting you.”

 All five of their faces simultaneously lit up with large grins.

“Deal.”

------------------------

A/N: I KNOW IT'S SHORT, NEXT CHAPTER WILL BE LONGERRRRR :)

BLAME SCHOOL FOR MY LACK OF UPDATES, SCIENCE CAN SUCK IT!

P.S. JUST WAIT FOR IT, THE BOYS HAVE SOMETHING SPECIAL PLANNED :3