一 | denial

"HE'S STILL

"—yeah."

The conversation started as quickly as it ended, Midoriya and Bakugo looking at each other as they watched their classmate trail in. Todoroki's hand was tightly clenched around an f/c umbrella, a blank look on his face as he traipsed over to his desk and dropped his stuff. As per usual, he set up his things for class.

The class slowly started to fill, everyone sharing not-so secretive glances over at Todoroki. "I'm not going to ask," Someone whispered as another responded in a similar manner, everyone keeping their distance from the grieving boy. Everyone shared looks before glancing over at Denki. 

He was the only one who could pass it off smoothly compared to everyone else in the class. Denki swallowed harshly, fixing his collar before walking to his classmate. "Hey, Todoroki-kun!" He chirped cheerily, sweat already beading at his forehead as he grew more nervous by the second, his anxiety spiking when Shoto looked at him.

"What's with the umbrella?"

A fond smile shaped Todoroki's lips, sending a shiver down everyone's spine as they stared at him uneasily. "Oh, Y/n forgot it when we went to the park together. So, I brought it so I could return it to her. She wasn't in her dorm room, do any of you know where she is?" He cast a curious glance at everyone. 

Quickly, they turned their backs towards him, growing nauseous at the thought of answering his eerie question. At this point, even Denki had backed away, the boy shrinking into Kirishima's side for comfort as the red-haired patted his back comfortingly. "You did good," He mumbled reassuringly, brows furrowed. 

He had no idea what to do about the situation either.

"They better hook him up with some fucking therapy," It sickened Bakugo too, his hands smoking as he burned one of Midoriya's journals that sat at his desk. Midoriya didn't bother commenting on it though, glancing at Bakugo's distraught form and back at Shoto's seemingly normal one.

The bell rang, everyone silently going back into their seats. Yaomomo was the only one who did anything, smiling softly at Todoroki. It seemed warm to him, but anyone else could see the pity in her eyes. Class started and it wasn't hard to tell that Aizawa was paying special attention to the dual-haired boy in class, glancing at him occasionally.

Hell, everyone was. It was hard not to look at him; especially when he acted like everything was okay when his girlfriend was fucking dead. The class carried on, however, not sparing a pause or a break to check on Shoto. The show must go on, right? Midoriya scribbled his last answer, storing his things away as the lunch bell rang.

"Todoroki-san, want to join us for lunch?" He had been gathering his nerves to ask that question all morning, casting the boy a curious look. Everyone watched the green-haired boy incredulously, staring at him like he was out of his mind. In a way, he was. Even Ochaco looked taken aback, looking at him with wide brown eyes.

They all awaited Todoroki's answer, muscles tensed.

"No thank you. I think I'll go have lunch on the rooftop. Maybe Y/n's there," He smiled sweetly at the thought of his love waiting for him there. Midoriya spun around, clasping a hand over his mouth as a wave of nausea hit him, his anxiety rising. The answer had stunned everyone, their eyes wide as they watched Shoto casually walk out of the classroom.

"Is anyone going to—"

"—fuck no."

Bakugo had grabbed his things, quickly heading out of the classroom. The rest of his friends followed him, clearly thrown off by the entire situation. Iida fidgeted with his fingers. Everyone knew better than to get involved, especially when news of his outburst at Eri spread fairly quickly. 

"I hate walking on eggshells like this," Ochaco remarked softly. "I can't begin to wonder how he feels right now."

There were no other words after that.

Everyone's minds were so clouded by worry and pity, even if they talked about other minuscule topics at lunch. Even Denki didn't say anything, silently eating his food as Mina attempted to start a conversation. It started but was quickly shut down by Bakugo's rough refusal, leaving everyone to eat quietly.

Todoroki was the first to return to the classroom, waiting outside of it as he pulled out his phone to text his girlfriend. He turned his head up, however, at the sound of some footsteps. There stood Shinso, a bouquet of flowers and dozens of letters crammed into his hands. Shinso blinked at the sight of Todoroki but didn't bother saying anything.

He felt awkward, just standing there in front of the boy who was grieving. Well, he was grieving, right? Shinso studied him quietly, confused as to why he didn't look upset in the slightest. That, and he still had that pretty little umbrella tightly clutched into his hand. "Why are you staring?" Todoroki's question caught him off guard, the purple-haired boy jumping slightly.

"I was just looking around,"

Shoto's eyes landed on the items in Shinso's hands, asking a silent question.

Shinso averted his eyes, "1-B sends their condolences."

"Condolences for what?"

Shinso felt sick, a cold, tightening feeling filling his stomach as he stared at the boy in awe. WHAT THE FUCK DO I SAY?! He pursed his lips, redirecting his attention to the classroom doors. Todoroki figured he wouldn't get an answer, going back to his phone. After a few minutes, the door finally opened, revealing Aizawa in a sleeping bag.

Shinso scurried past the teacher as Todoroki followed suit, heading back to his desk. His heterochromatic eyes gazed as Shinso was quick to drop the flowers and letters on Y/n's desk, before darting over to the other set of doors. Aizawa's onyx eyes watched them carefully, sensing Shinso's anxiousness from here.

"Oh, the flowers were for Y/n. They're pretty. Did you see her today, by the way? I haven't seen her all day." Todoroki muttered, his finger brushing one of the petals of the sunflower. Shinso swallowed harshly, wrenching the doors open. "No, I haven't," He said curtly, eager to get back to his classroom and act like he didn't just go through all of that.

Aizawa crossed his arms, his ink-colored eyes gazing worriedly upon his student.