九 | acceptance

"I MISS YOU," Shoto mumbled to himself, rubbing his finger against the photo of his girlfriend. The frozen-in-time version of her beamed at him, a smile that made his heart melt and hurt at the same time. He hated this feeling. "Shoto," He looked up at the sound of his sister's voice. She adjusted the collar of her black dress, looking at him softly.

"It's time to go."

He nodded silently, shoving his hands into his pockets. Today was the day of Y/n's funeral. Her parents were beyond devastated and according to them, Y/n's body wasn't in the best shape. It sickened Shoto to even think about it and he didn't dare to bug them for an answer. Instead, he had just thanked them and wished them nothing but the best.

However, as he sat in the car, watching the other cars and scenery pass by, he couldn't help but wonder what Y/n looked like. It felt like forever since he had last seen her, felt her touch, heard her. That warmth he desired so much was yet to be delivered. Shoto fixed his tie as the car pulled up to a parking lot, other vehicles following suit.

He exited the car, his shoes hitting the pavement that was covered with rain. He flinched, watching as Fuyumi offered him the f/c umbrella. The one that had belonged to his girlfriend. The one that she had taken to their date. "It's okay if you don't want it. You've just been getting better so I figured. . . " She trailed off hesitantly.

He swallowed harshly, taking the umbrella from her hand with a reassuring look. "No, it's fine. T-Thank you." He mumbled, feeling guilty after how he'd been treating her these past few weeks. Shoto definitely owed her an apology. He held it up, slowly popping it out as it covered his head, the annoying drumming of the rain starting.

His shoes squeaked against the pavement occasionally and he bit his bottom lip, praying that he didn't get wet socks. By now, Y/n would've had wet socks. She always loved jumping in the puddles of rainwater that would pool onto the ground. Shoto bit back a smile at that, his heart pitter-pattering at the thought before cracking again.

Right. He was at her funeral. 

The harsh reminder felt like a smack in the face as he made his way over to the graveyard where a casket was incredibly visible. It was dark, nearly mahogany, wood that adorned it. It was covered in gold designs and at the very top, it was popped open so all you could see was her face. 

There were already some flowers surrounding her angelic expression, laced in her hair; almost like a blessing or one last kiss on the forehead before she went to sleep forever. Todoroki found himself picking up his pace, his brother struggling to keep up with him as Endeavor glanced at Fuyumi.

Natsuo managed to keep up with Todoroki, setting a hand on his shoulder. "Hey, slow down," Todoroki clenched the umbrella tighter at his words, the stark reminder ringing a bell in his head to all the times that he had said that to her. His mind flitted back to one of those moments, how he'd smiled so fondly at her despite the fact that she was being so clumsy.

"Hey, slow down," He said chuckling, skipping up to her as she held up the f/c umbrella above her head. Her h/c hair was tied into two pigtails that swayed with her when she walked, her cute little rainboots splashing the water that pooled on the sidewalk. "But why? Walking in the puddles is so fun!" She replied, cutely pouting.

His heart skipped a beat at her adorable expression, a small smile on his lips. "Because, your socks are soaked," Shoto remarked, raising a brow at her as he pointed towards her damp ankles where the water had started to seep into her socks. "Ack, don't remind me. They're all squishy." Y/n scrunched her nose in distaste, facing forward again.

"You have wet socks."

"Shush."

"Little miss wet socks."

"Ah, stop! Shoto!" 

He smiled even brighter, a soft laugh escaping his lips as he looked at her. She glanced up at him in wonder, a small smile lacing her lips too. "You should laugh more," Her comment caught him offguard as he froze, staring at her curiously. Her eyes sparkled as she grinned at him. "Your laugh. . . it's really cute."

This time, Shoto grew flustered, turning his head to the side as he avoided looking her in the eyes.

"Aw, you're flustered!"

"Hmph."

"Aw, Shoto-chan!"

"Shoto?" The boy blinked wildly, snapping back to reality at the sensation of his brother shaking his shoulder. The dual-haired boy glanced at his older brother and then behind him, seeing his father and sister who looked equally concerned. "You just. . . spaced out on us." The boy shivered, feeling his socks grow damper as water coated his fingers.

Natsuo refrained to mention how his little brother had suddenly dropped to the floor in a crouch position, narrowly avoiding getting water all over his formal-looking pants.

He rose from his crouched position, taking note of the other people who had passed them in the meantime. "Y-Yeah, I'm sorry about that." Natsuo just nodded curtly, unsure of how to continue the conversation smoothly. The family made their way over to the yard, finally getting a closer look at Y/n's body and the people surrounding it.

As expected, 1-A stood around the casket, staring at it solemnly while a few hid their faces in the shoulders of their parents or friends, sobbing. Todoroki couldn't find the energy to do the same, slowly approaching the body with a white flower his sister had lent him from the bouquet she brought. 

No one dared to stop him, letting him talk to her on his own. However, they silently watched.

This didn't bother Shoto as he stared silently at her body. Her skin was paler than before and her cheeks were flushed. Her hair was spread around her and Shoto could see the flowers that were laced in her hair. His heart pitter-pattered in his chest as a small frown shaped his lips. Even now, she looks like an angel. 

He bent down, lifting one of her cold hands as he shivered. The warmth. . . it's gone. It felt like a devastating blow to the chest, but he swallowed his oncoming tears, placing the flower in between her hands as it rested below her chin. Shoto reached down, placing a soft kiss on her forehead as his tears finally became visible, tracing down his cheeks visible.

Goodbye, Y/n.